ampacity of disconnects

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
That sort of defeats the purpose of the disconnects. You will end up off the connectors because the heat shrink won’t come off. Might as well use butt connectors.
And this also makes the point. if you are only going to disconnect it every 5 years for replacement, it is simpler and more robust to simply make a butt splice and then cut it off. Leave yourself enough extra wire to do this several times over the years. Also quicker than the suggested methods. The quick connect is actually more difficult and time consuming to do well, so it is not quick and this is an exersize in making it harder.

This is how well pumps are done.

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
And this also makes the point. if you are only going to disconnect it every 5 years for replacement, it is simpler and more robust to simply make a butt splice and then cut it off. Leave yourself enough extra wire to do this several times over the years. Also quicker than the suggested methods. The quick connect is actually more difficult and time consuming to do well, so it is not quick and this is an exersize in making it harder.

This is how well pumps are done.
I use the disconnects on 2 pumps, the cooling pump for the refrigerator and the potable water pump. Both of these pumps could fail when I don't have the resources to properly connect them with heat shrink butt joints and and I can prep the replacement pumps well before they are needed. Otherwise I use butt connectors unless there just isn't enough of a service loop and it is too difficult to run a longer wire, so far one cabin fan has this treatment.

Mar 26, 2011
I use the disconnects on 2 pumps, the cooling pump for the refrigerator and the potable water pump. Both of these pumps could fail when I don't have the resources to properly connect them with heat shrink butt joints and and I can prep the replacement pumps well before they are needed. Otherwise I use butt connectors unless there just isn't enough of a service loop and it is too difficult to run a longer wire, so far one cabin fan has this treatment.
I don't understand the scenario, I think.
  • You have a spare pump with a matching connector on it (you would have had to do this. because they don't come that way) and ...
  • ... your tool kit does not contain crimpers and fittings. Nor do you have Wagos or a choc block you can snap a section of. Seem unlikely.

If the wire is too short, sounds like a good time to add an extension that will make easier to reach.

Just sayin', I've had quite a few quick connectors pick up resistance over time, over the years, but never had a butt splice fail. Boats and industry. If you need heat shrink over the connector for reliability, then you need a butt splice, which is simpler and more reliable. I'm not going to frog around trying to remove an adhesive lined heat shrink from over the connector (what the OP was suggesting) without damaging the wire or connector, while working in a tight space without enough slack to make a butt splice. I don't see how this senario adds up in the real world, and it is not a practice you will see in industry. If the equipment comes with spades attached, I will use them, but that is pretty much the only time.

Jan 11, 2014
I don't understand the scenario, I think.
  • You have a spare pump with a matching connector on it (you would have had to do this. because they don't come that way) and ...
  • ... your tool kit does not contain crimpers and fittings. Nor do you have Wagos or a choc block you can snap a section of. Seem unlikely.
Sitting on anchor, the pump fails. At anchor I don't have enough AC power to run the heat gun to form a good heat shrink. Yes, I could use a butane torch, lighter, or matches, however, when I have used those devices I have been less than satisfied with the results. And I suppose heat shrinking could wait until I was back at a dock.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I'm not going to frog around trying to remove an adhesive lined heat shrink from over the connector (what the OP was suggesting) without damaging the wire or connector, while working in a tight space without enough slack to make a butt splice.
I never suggested I was going to remove any heat shrink. What I said was "When it comes time to disconnect I will just cut them off". Meaning the connecters.

To be clear, my choice was to add some wire to the existing setup, which would end up using four butts and eight crimps, or using two disconnect fittings which would need only four crimps. I went with the disconnects and fewer crimps. It's a dry space but I used dielectric grease and covered the whole thing in shrink tubing anyway.

Mar 26, 2011
Sitting on anchor, the pump fails. At anchor I don't have enough AC power to run the heat gun to form a good heat shrink. Yes, I could use a butane torch, lighter, or matches, however, when I have used those devices I have been less than satisfied with the results. And I suppose heat shrinking could wait until I was back at a dock.
You are reaching.

a. If you use a disconnect without heat shrink it is worse than a butt with no heat shrink. Obvious. Of course, the real purpose of the shrink is to protect the wire against wicking seawater, not prtect the crimp, which does not need protection if properly tight.
b. Your inverter is that small? And you carry the spare pump on board? The lighter will work fine, just go carefully and move the lighter quickly.
c. You still have to put the disconnects on the pump wires. Same problem. You carry a heat gun?

A butt and a bic is simpler.

Jan 11, 2014
You are reaching.

a. If you use a disconnect without heat shrink it is worse than a butt with no heat shrink. Obvious. Of course, the real purpose of the shrink is to protect the wire against wicking seawater, not prtect the crimp, which does not need protection if properly tight.
b. Your inverter is that small? And you carry the spare pump on board? The lighter will work fine, just go carefully and move the lighter quickly.
c. You still have to put the disconnects on the pump wires. Same problem. You carry a heat gun?

A butt and a bic is simpler.
The disconnects are connected before I leave the dock. It then becomes a quick plug and play to replace either pump.

Yes, my inverter is very small, 150w Pure Sine wave. It is primarily used to charge batteries for power tools and to charge laptops. It is hardwired to the DC system.

Yes, I carry the spare pumps on board. I have had to replace the refrigerator pump while out cruising. Had I not carried the spare pump I would have had warm beer and spoiled food. Last year we were in the Bahamas and next year we plan to visit the Canadian Maritimes. We carry a lot of parts and pieces on board and even more at home.

I have used lighters, just don't like them, personal preference.

Yes, I carry a heat gun.