Amount of Exhaust Water out the back

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Again, that's an after market add on. Very few 5411's have an HX.
I’m not sure about that. It did say Universal on the casting so probably a bunch of each. I can see raw water cooling in fresh water but not in salt.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
there was an old known hose failure mechanism where the suction from the raw water pump was enough to separate the inner wall of the old water supply hose and partially collapse it so when running at high rpms the water hose inner wall collapse deprived the h 2 0 raw water pump of enough water to properly cool the engine . rx replace the hose from sea into the raw water pump.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
there was an old known hose failure mechanism where the suction from the raw water pump was enough to separate the inner wall of the old water supply hose and partially collapse it so when running at high rpms the water hose inner wall collapse deprived the h 2 0 raw water pump of enough water to properly cool the engine . rx replace the hose from sea into the raw water pump.
I thought the OP said he was getting good flow to the pump, and after the pump...

Greg

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Again, it sounds like this engine is acting exactly as it was designed to. If not equipped with a heat exchanger, it will only discharge a small amount of water when cold. Absolutely normal and as intended. My does the same thing, just a dribble at cold idle. As the engine warms up the flow increases, it will only discharge the amount that passes through the thermostat. It's a 140 deg t-stat and there's little flow until it reaches 140. Mine never goes above 170 no matter the load, this is still below normal temp for a fresh water cooled engine. If it's not overheating, there's nothing wrong with it. OP didn't say what the running temp was.
The owner's manual is attached, page 35 is the cooling system. Follow the diagram and visualize what's happening there and it will be clear. Water comes in the intake to the pump, through the block, then to the t-stat. If t-stat is closed only a tiny amount gets discharged. The rest goes to the tee at the intake, the same amount that was discharge gets pulled in, and the water flows through the engine again. It's very effective, and will even heat a water heater connected between the t-stat and the intake tee.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Here's a link to an earlier thread. Same question, same answer.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
What is the problem you are having? Maybe everything is just fine. Is the engine getting to hot?