AMF 1976 - Sunfish Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2006
- - Springboro OH
Greetings everyone! I thought I had a sunfish... the sail is definately sunfish like, as is the size (13'10") the dagger board, the rudder, etc., are all sunfish like. However, this boat has a teak wood coaming... it has a no lip around the cockpit (to anchor main sheet block), but otherwise, it looks very much like a sunfish. SO ... the original owners say it was an "AMF" boat. In 1976, when AMF was making Sunfish, did they ALSO make variants that were SIMILAR to the sunfish (same sail rigging, etc.) but that were, well, different???? Most important question: Will Sunfish replacement parts (lines, rudder, etc.) work for this one? I can produce a picture if necessary [where would I put that?] thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! john.

J

Janet

Many fish in the sea

From what I have read about sunfish history and AMF there were lots of AMF boats. It seems AMF was buying up boat companies in some sort of attempt to be the Walmart of sporting goods. Sunfish came from Alcort and as I understand it AMF made a cheaper version they called the sunlite or something like that. I have seen a AMF mini-sunfish advertised on Ebay. My neighbor had a force-five by AMF and one of the people at my sailing beach has a AMF puffer. There are quite a few sunfish looking boats where I sail too. None of them say AMF, but they look exactly like my sunfish. I think there were a whole bunch of copy cats. Have you looked up the "sunfish sailing class organization"? They are probably the best place for information.

I

Ivan

Copy Cats

John, Check with the Sunfish-Sailor group. There's a clone-fish list at their web page. They seem to know older Sunfish and the related Alcort/AMF boats. Send them a picture of your boat. It's a good chance they will know what it is and if the Sunfish parts will work on it. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor/

A

arcticmonkey

Copy Cats

Dude - We race Laser and Sunfish at our lake and there's a bunch of lookalike Sunfish in that group. Just because it has a Sunfish looking sail and measures the same doesn't make it a Sunfish. Parts don't swap either. I've seen them try and most of the time it won't work. Look at your serial number by the rudder. The first letters tell the boat company code. find the code in the Coast Guard database. Canada and the States use the same code so it doesn't matter if it wad made here even.

May 15, 2006
- - Alabama
Surfwind

Ivan: Your right that Sears sold the Surfwind but I thought, maybe incorrectly, that AMF manufactored it for them. Where did you find such a good picture of it? Thanks, Robert

I

Ivan

Clonefish Directory

Robert, Look into the link in my earlier post. That group has a directory of clones. I had a pamphlet from AMF that showed all their boats. There were a whole bunch, but none I recall with a blunt nose like an E-Scow. Maybe they made it for Sears and never sold it under their own name.

H

Herb

amf windflite

Hi, AMF had a cheaper version of the sunfish called the winflite. It was designed to be more accomodating to cartopping It was renamed the KG 14 after Katherine Goodhue whose husband Joe was the person that really pioneered the sunfish in the Northeast. It takes all the same parts as a sunfish. It was not cheaper in the sense that it was poorly made, it was less expensive and didn't have the resale value of a sunfish because it was not a class boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.