Amateur Radio Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam

I'm a fairly new sailor and an amateur radio licensee. The Catalina 25 was built in 1984, and I have no knowledge regarding whether/how grounding of an installed HF radio and the related antenna can best be done. Would also like to read about others' experiences with HF equipment including various antennae. Recommendations appreciated.

R

Ron

A few suggestions

Any HF (e.g., SSB) system requires a very good ground as a counterpoise to a marine antenna system. From what I've seen, most people go for an insulated (isolated) back stay loaded through an antenna tuner. Not quite ideal for an omni propogation pattern, but a good compromise between RF efficiency and the mechanics of mounting. Few use HF whips. For antenna/ground installation hints, try the following: 1. Nigel Calder's book: "Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual", ISBN 0-07-009618-X. Around pg 230-244 he has a treatment on grounds & RF interference suppression. 2. The ARRL. They always had some excellent data & practical hints in their "Radio Amateur's Handbook" & other publications. 3. Scan the various nautical books stocked by West Marine, Defender, BoatUS, etc. A few treat this particular problem. 4. Talk to the HF/SSB equipment manufacturers. I'm sure they have recommendations regarding the proper installation of their marine HF equipment (doesn't have to be Ham equipment, either). Raymarine (formerly Raytheon Marine Division) sells marine HF gear, and has a pretty good website that often includes their equipment manuals on-line as well as email to their Tech Support people. Good luck, --Ron

S

Sam

Amateur Radio

Ron of Westford? As in next to Fairfax? Are you a Ham? Tks much for your resource suggestions? My next note is to ICOM, And, I'll hit Barnes and Nobel today or tomorrow.

R

Ron

ex-Ham

Westford, as in Massachusetts (not Connecticut); near Lowell, MA & Nashua, NH. I was a ham for many years in my mis-spent youth; worked from NY, CA, and WY. Once I completed college & grad school (EE) I lost interest & let my license expire. Also held a commercial 1st class radiotelephone license for many years. The only radio work I do anymore is marine VHF from my boat.

S

Sam

Amateur Radio

I've been told that "once a ham ... always ... a ham..." I was a USN high speed code operator and a diver for several years ... left the service, became a educator and mental health professional ... didn't use or listen to code for nearly 25 years ... A friend asked me to go to an exam site with him one evening, and I managed to pass 30 wpm without little difficulty ... been hooked ever since ... But, truth be known ... I enjoy sailing and scuba more ... My wife of 4+ years lived in Westford, I believe, as she was either finishing or after she finished Med School at UMAss Worcester. Nice town ... Take care, and thanks for writing ... Icom is posting some stuff to me. Sam Conant (sconant@sover.net)

J

John Buckham

I've done this

I installed an Icom 706 on my C-30. I used an HF whip; it’s a Shakespeare, West Marine P/N 47994, transom mounted . It is large; you may not want to do it this on your 25. But hey, it works well. The antenna is connected to an SCG 230 antenna tuner, then the 706. 6/2/70cm is handled with a mast-mounted whip. I’ve had good DX performance with it. Your biggest challenge will be a good counterpoise. It took several tries to get mine right. I wound up with several 4” wide copper straps bonded to the inside of the hull below the quarter birth and inside the laserette. Once all tied together I got a good match on 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 80 and 160 meters, but the 40 Meter band still eludes me, the tuner won’t match it. Insulated backstay antennas seem to work fairly well, but the insulators are costly to purchase and on your 25’ I wonder if the backstay would be long enough, although I know a Flicka (20’) owner that has his rigged this way and gets good results with the Icom antenna tuner. John – KE6PID

A

Aldo Lozano

Another suggestion...

The simplest way you can get in the air, without any ground plane or tunner, is using a dipole antenna, hanging it from your flag line. The dipole will have a inverted "V" configuration, but does a good job. The cons (don't every thing have it?) is the antenna will be monoband, and of course you can't it up while under way. But they are cheap, easy to raise and store and build. Till I get my backstay insulated, that give me the chance to ham. Sailing sigle handed for the time being don't give much chance to try it under way... If you want more info, with pics, just let me know at "alozano@monmouth.com" 73's Aldo

S

Sam

Amateur Radio

Aldo, John, and Ron; Tks much for your helpful suggestions ... I didn't find much info specifically helpful at ARRL, but the ICIN site has a decent multi-chapter download (Adobe) including 4 appendices listing worldwide services for marine radio which is clear. What I note in a lot of ARRL material on just about any topic of personal interest are authors using what I term the "WOW em with techie lingo and shorthand." The ICOM material doesn't do that - it is pretty straight-forward. Tks Again, and 73 Sam Conant (N1PDL)

Status
Not open for further replies.