Am I the only one who doesn't haul for repairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gene Gruender

I see many posts that lead me to believe people haul their boats for most anything thing. I have to haul out to paint, obviously (twice in 8 1/2 years) but I have yet to have to for anything else. Am I that strange? I find it pretty simple to put on a new zinc with a mask. I've replaced the prop shaft in the water, replaced the rudder in the water and clean the bottom with a brush, mask and flippers (takes about an hour). Last weekend I put new packing in the stuffing box - in the water - and found it to be very quick and simple. I might have taken on a gallon of water. I'm not sure I could afford a haul out or to pay a diver to do all this stuff. Again, am I that strange?

D

David Foster

Out every Winter up north

So repairs on the hard is natural while the lakes are covered with ice.

E

Ed Schenck

Just down the road from David.

Many who write here assume you know where they are located. But if you see OH or MI you can be sure(almost) it's on dry land almost five months a year. So we try to get all our work done before April 15. Then nothing to do but sail until October 15. But a few do leave them in all winter, with bubblers.

S

steven f.

the right way

Just cause you dont haul the boat for anything other than paint doesn't mean your doing the needed repairs the correct way. Besides, theres always more than one way to do most things. Did you have a hull survey with the boat in the water? Do you even have a hull survey? Get what I'm saying....sometimes the best way to fix something is on dry land even though its not the cheapest.

R

Ron

I vote for Gene

I'm with you Gene. I guess maybe I should get my house hauled to the lumber yard for a new roof. As for Stephen, here's a note for ya... Gene has more time in Blue Water and boats than you can imagine, so why the wise attitude. This is not a slam forum. Ron

T

Tom Hadoulias

Hauling doesn't mean it's done right!

As a liveaboard and going through a major refit on my 37C, I concur fully with Gene. Most of the boatyard help these days is minimum wage labor but you pay the yard BIG bucks to do the job. This is the price we pay for so called "luxury recreation". Couple that with inexperienced help and different opinions on how to do things, you may as well do them yourself. Most of them can be done in the water, even through hulls can be replaced by someone that knows what their doing. I've done it with a toilet plunger at a cost of about $35.00 for the through hull versus the $150.00 the boatyard charged me to do one out of the water. If your hauling for the winter that's a different story, your out anyway but in the warmer climates the boat spends most of it's entire useful life in the water. There is no right way or wrong way as long as it's done right but when you're 100 miles from shore and thru-hull or packing gland goes your not gonna be able to haul and you better know you to fix it. I don't think Boat US is going to bail you out... Literaly. I have also gotten great life out of my bottom paint as well. Gene describes a good method of cleaning that has obviously worked well for him. Keeping it clean is the key and you also know what other problems are occurring when your checking underwater. High pressure cleaning once a year on an ablative paint shortens it's usefull life but sure makes the marina profit! Tom

G

Gene Gruender

Good points

Before I put the new packing in last weekend I was quite concerned with having a problem. I recall reading a number of discussions here and on other forums about doing that and had gotten the impression that it was quite tricky, things could go wrong, and you were in danger of sinking before getting it back together. As a result, I'd put it off much too long. I was quite surprised to find it wasn't a big deal! I figured I'd try to stimulate a bit of discussion on doing things without hauling, which, except for actual underwater glass work or bottom painting, can almost all be done in the water. That's not to say it's always the best or most efficient way, but in a pinch, I think it can be done. And I didn't take Steven's comment to be a negative comment at all- just another view, which is good here. I did get an out of the water survey when I bought Rainbow Chaser - heck, I'd never been on a sailboat before, I needed to learn as much as I could. A little story - back before we went cruising I needed to pull the motor out. It was completely rusted, the oil lines need replacing, the engine compartment was a mess. The thing weighed about 800 lbs (3QM30) and I wanted to do it myself. I rigged up a line from the boom to the spreaders to help support the weight, then used the main sheet and some blocks to lift it out and put it in the cockpit. I moved it fore and aft with a boom vang. The people at the marina were shocked. When it came time to put it back, they were trying to put me in touch with a number of people with cherry pickers and other equipment. My comment was, "Were those people going to be around when I broke down in some deserted harbor?" I put it back myself, using only what I had on the boat. A couple years later I lost the transmission in Louisana. I wasn't to worried, though, because I knew I could do the repairs right there with what I had. I'm sure there are more things I could do for myself, and some of you guys can probably teach me. I'm all ears (well, eyes, I suppose)

Status
Not open for further replies.