Am I supposed to have bow rollers?

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport, Mississippi
I got a reply from him after I posted to the website. And it was like pulling teeth to get an answer from him, as evidenced above. So there's really no reason to call him since he told me to call the parts department.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I'm guessing that comment somehow made you feel superior, but the fact is, I asked a simple question and got my answer, with the typical +50% wrong/irellevant answers. There's no obsession. Unlike some people, I don't like buying the wrong part for a job if the correct part is available and equally priced. But yes, I don't wanna hope the wrong part works when I can afford to wait for the right part.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
We have the same set up and were missing the rollers when we purchased the boat. I went to West Marine with a tape measure and found a roller in the trailer aisle that measured just right. Installed a pair 5 years ago and never looked back. Of course that did involve re-engineering the wrong part and making it work. :biggrin:

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Jose,

Sorry, I'm a bit late in this thread but, I can tell you from experience that an older wooden bowsprit & maybe a questionable bobstay will & can fail at some point.

My bobstay failed which ripped out the bowsprit side straps as they were never properly beefed up
& supported. The wood bowsprit also broke in half & the side straps ripped out on a perfect sailing day. The side straps failed because the boat was used as a club racer with a STD. mast. The bowsprit was added for more pointing power. However, it was not supported properly to the anchor locker hull walls along with the old bobstay swaged cable.

I almost lost my mast but luckily with my 155, turned downwind in-time to secure it with a spare halyard. I don't know your bowsprit age but it looks weathered. If wood & old, it at some point can fail.

As for my repair & changeout, I contacted Catalina in St. Pete. Florida & replaced this with their fiberglas bowsprit designed for newer boats. Since my boat was older, It took some modification & anchor wall re-enforcing buildup for the new side straps.

For the new bobstay, I found a site for Nitronic 20/50, a solid cable w/43,000 lb. breaking tensile strength. This is also a mechanical fitting & NOT a swage fitting. My wood bowsprit failed because the bobstay first gave way. It was a hairy moment.

Do some research & then call Catalina (St. Pete. FL.) @ 727.544.6681 & ask for Warren. He can answer any questions.

ps: I hate wood on deck. Aside of handrails, I've changed all my teak to man-made composite...no maintenance.

And yes, I have anchor rollers.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
i swear i read somewhere in the catalina manual that you should not use the bow sprit to hold anchor.. the side forces on that piece of wood could potentially break it.. thinking through how much lateral force when you get waked on the hook i can imagine it breaking and taking down the forestay in the process..

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
i swear i read somewhere in the catalina manual that you should not use the bow sprit to hold anchor.. the side forces on that piece of wood could potentially break it.. thinking through how much lateral force when you get waked on the hook i can imagine it breaking and taking down the forestay in the process..
When anchored I ALWAYS secure the rode, before it enters the rollers, to one of the cleats taking any strain off the bowsprit.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I don't know if it's in the Catalina manual, but that applies to any boat. You still need the bow roller to help retrieve your line though.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Just to update, I bought the Anchor Roller 1-5/8"from Catalina Direct and it fit perfectly. They sent 2, I don't see the quantity as 2 in the description.