Am I nuts for wanting this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

I have a 1983 Catalina 30 TR that my wife and I use mostly as a day sailer with occasional overnight trips (2 this season, 3 last season). At a small local boatshow I saw a MacGregor 26X. My wife and I are thinking that this may be a better boat for our needs. In our area (southern Chesapeake Bay, Hampton Roads area) there are LOTS of long rivers that look like they'd be great for playing around on, but with the Cat 30, speed under power is too slow to go that far. Although I love sailing, I also like the idea of being able to power in the mid to upper teens when I actually have a specific destination to get to by a certian time. So, am I nuts for considering "downsizing" to a newer MacGregor 26X?

J

Jeff Walker

The need for speed...

Sounds like a good plan hearing about all of the rivers in your area. The boat will definitely be a compromise for both motoring and sailing but it may be just the thing to get over shallow sand bars etc. I would probably first look at fast trawlers as well since they give you all of that extra room and cruise at 18 to 20 knots.

J

John Mavrovich

SNAP OUT OF IT!!

Dave, in my opinion you might be real unhappy stepping down to a smaller boat that's not nearly as substantial as a C30. Hybrid type boats that are built for sailing and planing under outboard power don't do either one very well. I wouldn't want to be caught in a blow in a McGregor 26. This is just one guy's opinion. Whatever you decide, good luck.

B

Brad Elbein

Don't Slum

This is just my opinion, of course, but I think the Macgregor 26x is a peice of junk. I know that some of the upper crust consider my C30 as K-Mart quality, and I wouldn't want to sail it around the world, but it's a decent boat. Macgregors, on the other hand, are just junk. Macs are poorly built, poorly rigged, and ugly to boot. If you read a review of the "boat" you probably won't find anyone (other than Macgregor) to say anything good about them. If you insist on a motor sailer, then buy a motor sailer. I think that if you got into any kind of weather with the Macgregor, you'd end up with permanent heart palpitations.

J

John J.

Mac26

If you want to go exploring up rives, sail your cat 30 as far as possible, anchor, then buy a jet ski to tow. It is a lot cheaper in the long run.

B

Bob Morrison

Don't give into the dark side Luke

If you make the swap, I think that you will be very disappointed in the results. I used to think that the Mac was a good idea as a compromise and even considered buying one - especially because of the price. But as I got into it, I realized that compromise is not always good; it sails and it motors fast, but it doesn't do either well. The other issue is quality. Your 15+ year old Catalina should last longer than a new Mac (based on my perception of construction quality.) I also agree with the previous replies which talked about being in weather. I would much rather be on the C30 than a Mac in a squall. On the Chesapeake if you go on the water you will encounter a squall from time to time, so consider the safety aspect... Not trying to preach, just some thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.