Am I missing something? Bilge Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Al Shaffer

We had our 34 pulled out about three weeks ago and completed the winterization on it. I stopped by today to remove the batteries and erect the deck covers and found a big surprise. The bilge was almost totally full of water where the pink stuff once was. I cannot figure this out. It was totally dry and clean when she was pulled. I understand any leaks will gather in the bilge and this is normal. I also found out today the pump switch does not work. But I can hardly believe that this amount of water will pool in such a short time. I have not noticed any leaks over the season and am now puzzled. This is my first year in this boat and sailing so I have nothing to gauge by. It is a good thing I checked and now sort of worries me. I am going to replace the pump switch as soon as I can. I also left one of the three batteries in the boat so the pump will work if needed. But is this normal? Also what about water freezing in the bilge? I placed the pink stuff in it again and ran it through but I hate to worry about it. Any help would be great!! Thanks Al Shaffer

C

Claude l.-Auger

2 or 3 possibilities

1) The 34 has a grid-like construction under the sole. You may have had water in there that is now finding its way to the bilge. If you let the water heater tank drain under the floor, it will be a while before all the water finds its way to the bilge, and some of it will stay in the grid as the "weep holes" located on the stringers are almost 1/2" above the bottom. 2) The hose running from the bilge pump to the outlet is about 15 feet long and has a few high and low areas acting like a P-trap. Even when the bilge is run dry, most of the water in the hose will eventually syphon back to the bilge. Just to make sure I don't have a problem, after running the pink stuff through I disconnect the hose and blow air in it, then remove the pump and put it on the higher area of the bilge. With about 1" of pink stuff in there, whatever water collects there will not create a problem when it freezes as it has room for expansion. 3) Did you remove any hose from your fresh water system for water to collect under the floor (See point 1)? Finally, before replacing the switch, do check the connections. They have a tendency to get corroded, preventing the current from flowing thus not letting the pump cycle properly on automatic.

R

Richard Wallace

Another Thought

I agree with Claude's thoughts. One other area could bring in a lot of water. The cockpit drains use plastic hoses that lead to drains below the transome. If one of those is damaged, you could be getting water from the cockpit. One of the hoses is in the quarter berth, the other in the starboard lazerette. My 34 is at Venetian, where is yours?

A

Al Shaffer

We are docked at Battery Park

Thanks for the help, I'm still looking into it. I am heading back up to the boat this weekend in hopes to find it all dry!! I will let you all know the outcome. Thanks Again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.