Am I crazy to buy a 23.5 project boat

Aug 1, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Lake Rathbun
Of course I must be to be thinking about it. Anyway I know it needs new centerboard and I'm not worried about that. Main worry is that I will get it all nice and then a few years down the line the ballast tank starts leaking which pretty much destroys the boat. Would it be possible at that point to cut into floor and put in a bladder to be held in place by old tank? I would need to devise a pump to bring in and exit the water. Just thinking about worst case scenario. What do you think?

Aug 1, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Lake Rathbun
Sail. I will have a yard do the centerboard. This model seems ideal for my intended use. The reason I bring up ballast is that these are old boats even if in good condition. I have owned 50 year old boats before no problem but the water ballast is something that may be non-fixable compared to traditional designs.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
The ballast tank won’t start leaking unless it is abused in some way. If it’s sound now, then it will likely stay that way.

Don’t let it freeze when full, for example.

Don’t drill or tap screws into it, for another example - make sure you realize just where the tank is

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've only ever heard of one that has busted but you should talk directly the the boss regarding this boat...

That would be @Crazy Dave Condon

He introduced it...

Aug 1, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Lake Rathbun
Thanks for the responses guys. I really like design of this boat for my little lake. Will let you know how it goes.