ALWAYS HAVE TOW INSURANCE

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t have tow insurance (hope I didn’t jinx myself). Needed a tow twice in 10 or so years...both self-inflicted.

But it pays to have friends at the marina (live aboard) who’s almost always home if he isnt out for a sail.

I have called him twice and he helped me in once...first time he asked a power boat to help me in.

I sail to the mount of the marina before making the call....and I buy him a beer afterwards :beer:

One of these days, I am going to try to sail in to the dock! Then I won’t have to bug my buddy.

Greg

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
From your description of what came out of your filter bowl your tank is pretty contaminated. You should pump it out and either filter the fuel or dispose of the fuel and fill it with fresh. If you have a clean out cover on your tank get in there and wipe it clean to remove any crud. I've seen fuel get what looks like a jelly texture substance stirred up and guaranteed it will clog a new filter in very short time. I made a little polishing unit you might want to try, it is great to use to pump out the tank. Then to pump the fuel back in. I bought a cheap 12V fuel pump at a NAPA store, one of the little cube shaped ones, mounted it on a board with a switch. Then I plumbed that to a diesel fuel filter, you can get at Tractor supply or in my case I put in a Racor 500 and used my old Racor 120 for the polishing rig. A couple lengths of hose and some tanks and you're in business. So it goes like this, If you have say a 20 gallon tank half full , you need two five gallon fuel jugs. Hook the pump leads to a battery and pump your tank out through the gauge opening or the sender unit opening (if no clean out port) into the jugs. The fuel in the jugs is now filtered fuel and should be free of most particulates and water. Now pump that into a third jug that you write on with a sharpie, clean polished fuel. Now pump that jug with some added diesel fuel treatment stuff back into the tank. You have now filtered it three times. Should be pretty clean. Repeat with the rest. The pump and filter rig will be less than a hundred bucks if you use your old filter and will last for years. When I buy fresh diesel fuel I get it in jugs and filter it into a clean jug then put it in the boat. This way you are pretty sure the fuel going in will be clean. It will still grow crud in it even when it is filtered and treated. My clean jugs after a few months with small amounts of fuel left in them always have some crud in them. I always clean them before I start. Just a suggestion but it works well. Amazon.com: Facet-Purolator Fep42sv Cube Fuel Pump Kit: Gateway

Last edited: