aluminum / stainless fused.... help

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I'd pass on the carbide drill. They're expensive and chip or break to easy to use any kind of hand drill. I'd buy a left hand cobalt drill. Go slow using a cutting oil. Good luck

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I'd pass on the carbide drill. They're expensive and chip or break to easy to use any kind of hand drill. I'd buy a left hand cobalt drill. Go slow using a cutting oil. Good luck
Really carbide drills on eBay are cheap ,yes they are brittle ,but again I have used them for years not breaking ,I guess it comes down to skill set.I have a box full of left handed drills they are only good if the bolt is not seize other wise useless

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I see you are NY.. Why not wait until January. Let it good and cold and contract. Then try the heat ( slowly) to the part that receives the thread.. Critical that you have the exact driver head. As mentioned above, an impact wrench could help and works best going both direction..

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
An impact driver has snapped the head off of every seized screw or bolt where I've tried it. It isn't that hard to snap a screw head off even while the screw is advancing through hardwood or fiberglass. I've done that too many times to admit! :( I find that if I can't take a screw or bolt off with a hand driver, I'll snap it off with an impact driver or even a fairly compact box wrench -forget the leverage bars! I think heat is best method for loosening - then very modest persuasion with an impact driver. I don't have any patience for the liquid concoctions.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
If you have to resort to drilling may I suggest starting with a center drill bit. Also when I suggested a impact tool I should have recommend a hand held, not a power tool.
Again good luck.

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
A 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid makes a good penetrating fluid. Comparison tests can be found online. It beats the commercially available stuff.