Aluminum Corrosion

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After reading your link...
1) First time I have heard of a POULTICE not healing.o_O
2) Lookout for dirty grooves on Aluminum Stuff.
3) "Chinese Water Torture" [aka drips] works on most all metals.
but...
4) AL Galvanic Corrosion cause by humidity in the Air is a bit weak.:rolleyes:
Jim...

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Aluminum corrosion can occur very rapidly under the right conditions. It can be difficult to detect sometimes. It makes me nervous in certain applications, mainly if it's hidden....

Nice article John.

dj

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Notice the article did not mention anodizing nor conversion coating of aluminum to prevent corrosion.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Notice the article did not mention anodizing nor conversion coating of aluminum to prevent corrosion.
These don't prevent corrosion. They increase the corrosion resistance. There is a difference...

dj

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
These don't prevent corrosion. They increase the corrosion resistance. There is a difference...

dj
Fair comment. An important point is if the anodize is compromised by a scratch or tapping a hole for a steel screw or a ding, the exposed raw aluminum should be touched up with alodine to restore some of the "corrosion resistance" originally provided by the anodize.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Fair comment. An important point is if the anodize is compromised by a scratch or tapping a hole for a steel screw or a ding, the exposed raw aluminum should be touched up with alodine to restore some of the "corrosion resistance" originally provided by the anodize.
I'm not familiar with alodine. I'll have to research it. If you have a link, that would be great.

dj

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I'm not familiar with alodine. I'll have to research it. If you have a link, that would be great.

dj
Also known as conversion coating. It is applied as a liquid and then rinsed off. Where anodize is better for corrosion resistance it is also non conductive so if you need the aluminum to be bonded like on an airplane for lightning protection you use alodine on a surface to allow the part to conduct while still giving it corrosion protection. Also during manufacturing anodize might be scratched, or where the electrical contacts were placed for the anodizing process you use alodine to touch up those surfaces.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Also known as conversion coating. It is applied as a liquid and then rinsed off. Where anodize is better for corrosion resistance it is also non conductive so if you need the aluminum to be bonded like on an airplane for lightning protection you use alodine on a surface to allow the part to conduct while still giving it corrosion protection. Also during manufacturing anodize might be scratched, or where the electrical contacts were placed for the anodizing process you use alodine to touch up those surfaces.

Sorry... for health reasons I need to be nerdy for just a moment.

The active ingredient in Alodine contains a chromium atom in the +6 oxidation state. The Cr+6 ion is rather benign (safe) however the Cr+7 ion is a potent carcinogen. You might recall the movie Erin Brockovich? That was Cr+7.

SO!!!! if you are going to use Anoline KEEP IT AWAY FROM ACIDS! or anything ACIDIC or you will create a potent carcinogen. :yikes:

If you are concerned about the environment, I'd also make sure none of it gets in the drain or in the water etc. Wash off all excess and don't let it stay in contact with your skin. Don't breath any mist. The surface of your lungs contain carbonic ACID so... there is that possibility as well.

Cr+6 is also a fairly strong oxidizer and will strip electrons away from other metals and many non-metalic materials (such as fiberglass). So don't be casual with where you let this stuff drip. It will react with other things beside Aluminum and the result will be a very colorful product that will be hard to buff out:thumbup:

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Sorry... for health reasons I need to be nerdy for just a moment.

The active ingredient in Alodine contains a chromium atom in the +6 oxidation state. The Cr+6 ion is rather benign (safe) however the Cr+7 ion is a potent carcinogen. You might recall the movie Erin Brockovich? That was Cr+7.

SO!!!! if you are going to use Anoline KEEP IT AWAY FROM ACIDS! or anything ACIDIC or you will create a potent carcinogen. :yikes:

If you are concerned about the environment, I'd also make sure none of it gets in the drain or in the water etc. Wash off all excess and don't let it stay in contact with your skin. Don't breath any mist. The surface of your lungs contain carbonic ACID so... there is that possibility as well.

Cr+6 is also a fairly strong oxidizer and will strip electrons away from other metals and many non-metalic materials (such as fiberglass). So don't be casual with where you let this stuff drip. It will react with other things beside Aluminum and the result will be a very colorful product that will be hard to buff out:thumbup:
Chrome 6 is a carcinogen, chrome 3 is safe. Chrome 7 does not exist. To convert from +3 to +6 you need a strong oxidizing agent, not acid.

Alodine is toxic stuff and is thus not widely available.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Chrome 6 is a carcinogen, chrome 3 is safe. Chrome 7 does not exist. To convert from +3 to +6 you need a strong oxidizing agent, not acid.

Alodine is toxic stuff and is thus not widely available.
Yes... :rolleyes: I had my head in the Manganese family for Ox#