AlternatorsRegulators

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Teeter

Does anyone know if you can convert an alternator with an internal regulator so that it can be used with an external regulator such as a Balmar ARS III or a Heart Interface regulator. The standard Yanmar alternator on my C-42 is a 80 Amp. alternator. I have the alternator connected to 3 battery banks via a battery combiner. The two house banks consist of 2 6 volt golf cart batteries for each bank and then I have a group 24 starting battery. On shore I charge by using a Newmar 45 Amp-three bank charger. The current built-in regulator seems to charge at a high rate initially, but it appears to me that it drops off too quickly and causes longer engine run time to obtain a acceptable charge level. Thanks,

G

gary

alternator change

I looked into that on my 400 it can be done but I chose to put on a 2nd alternator to charge the house batterys and left the other battery and alternator to charger the starting battery. My westerbeak engine had holes all ready there so all I had to do was make 2 brackets to mount the alternator.

Status
Not open for further replies.