Alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy m

Sep 13, 2007
Catalina 30 Long Beach, CA
My 51 amp Prestolite alternator may be dead as I believe it is the original one on the 1982 C30 (with 2 cyl Universal Diesel) that I purchased recently. I am thinking of installing a larger Prestolite (90 amp). usually more current needs larger wires. I wonder if the original wiring can handle the larger current output. Any thoughts and/or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Jun 2, 2004
Macgregor 26D North Carolina
Check this site

Check out this web site. Great info and good pricing. http://www.foleyengines.com/DDSK/DrDieselShopKink33.html

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's a good reference

You can spend $250 to $280 for an upgrade, or more than $300 for a new Balmar or for $120 you can do what we suggest here: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-electrical-system-upgrade-2.html More alternator output will require larger wires. Period. You also should consider running your output to the batteries instead of to th switch. You should also consider the horsepower draw of a larger alternator on your relatively small engine. You'll also need an external regulator for your new alternator. You could get a regulator with a "small engine" control mode, which would be a Balmar MaxCharge or equivalent. This would allow you to install a larger alternator but automatically reduce the output to avoid overloading your engine.

andy m

Sep 13, 2007
Catalina 30 Long Beach, CA
thank you

FYI I replaced the original 51 A unit with a 65A for $200 and so far all is well

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
I thought the same thing BUT

When I bought my 85 C30 I thought the alt. was not working too, but through much investigation and some help from a friend that understands electrical systems, we found: when the polarity switch on the panel is in the OFF position (which means the shore power is on) the alternator does NOT work. When I flip the polarity switch to ON (no shore power) the alternator works just fine. We used a meter connected to somewhere (he knew where) then when we flipped it back and forth he figured it out. I guess it is to protect the alternator from the shore power. Good Luck, Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.