Alternator wiring

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I'd like to rewire my alternator to be wired to the battery positive busbar. The B+ terminal is currently wired to the starter solenoid battery +ve. There are 3 terminals (see picture) and from what I can tell the two larger ones seem to both run to the starter solenoid +ve. It is really hard to tell for sure as I cannot see the solenoid directly and have to hold my phone in a really cramped space to get a picture. Also, I don't really trust the alternator is wired correctly as it is now.

So the question is, what should these three terminals be connected to? Anything I need to be aware of when wiring from the alternator to the battery +ve busbar other than adding a fuse? (And appropriate wire size, proper crimp terminals I can sort out)

20211107_121454.jpg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Thanks @leo310 the diagram is pretty much what I have planned except I'm using an ACR so the alternator will be connected directly to the un-switched battery +ve busbar.
I would like some kind of confirmation of the alternator connections. What I think the terminals are (and this is just my uneducated guess) is that the D+ terminal is to the indicator light on the engine control panel, B+ is battery positive (that one seems obvious ;)) and the middle terminal is probably the field coil which means it also needs to be energized by the battery positive for internal regulation.
What I'm a bit surprised by is the type of spade connections. They don't handle a lot of current so is this just a really wimpy alternator? I was expecting to see a screw terminal for the main battery connection.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I wonder if the center wire could be the stator tap used to drive the tach. It's been too long since I've fooled with a Bosch alternator.

You are correct, spade terminals won't carry a lot of current for long. How far is it from the alternator to the positive busbar?