Alternator Wiring to Mystery Box on Beneteau

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I'm working on the charging wiring on my Bene 331 and while tracing the output of the Yanmar 3GM30F's alternator, I see that both wires from the alternator go to a little black Bosch cube maybe 1.5inches on a side. Two wires go out of the cube, one to the starter (presumably the ground), and, sorry, I didn't finish tracing where the positive went. Any idea what this box does? It looks like a relay.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I'm working on the charging wiring on my Bene 331 and while tracing the output of the Yanmar 3GM30F's alternator, I see that both wires from the alternator go to a little black Bosch cube maybe 1.5inches on a side. Two wires go out of the cube, one to the starter (presumably the ground), and, sorry, I didn't finish tracing where the positive went. Any idea what this box does? It looks like a relay.
My guess is an external voltage regulator.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
an isolator? the other wire may go to a separate bank. Did you look on the "cube" to see if there are any identification numbers. I had a similar set-uo..... one wire went to the battery for my bow-thruster and the other went to the starter and ultimately charged the house bank.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Perhaps it starts the blower motor or closes the circuit on a battery combiner?

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I know I should have taken the time to get some numbers off the cube--next time.

Meanwhile, it seems kind of small for a voltage regulator and I haven't seen any combiner anywhere. No blower, weinie, but good guess.

I will trace the positive next time--I'm almost certain it will go to the "on" side of the battery switches.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I looked around some Ron--are you refering to the thread about the blower relay? Could be my case, though it didn't occur to me because I have no blower. BTW, the mystery box is indeed a relay, that much I now know from doing a little deciphering of Beneteau's cobra nest of black cables (they apparently saved by using black for everything and relying on a red heat shrink at the ends of the positives, which doesn't help in the middle of the nest :)

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I looked around some Ron--are you refering to the thread about the blower relay? Could be my case, though it didn't occur to me because I have no blower. BTW, the mystery box is indeed a relay, that much I now know from doing a little deciphering of Beneteau's cobra nest of black cables (they apparently saved by using black for everything and relying on a red heat shrink at the ends of the positives, which doesn't help in the middle of the nest :)
Can you post a photo?