alternator switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

al

i recently was left a 1987 36foot catalina and am new to sailing....i have the owners manual and while looking over the electrical switches i found a switch labeled alternator behind the nav station (along with several other switches having to do with the lights in the rigging) i cannot find the purpose of the alternator switch and was wondering if it needs to be in the on or off position while starting or moving the boat under power?

thanks

a rookie

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's unusual, so what you will need to do

is trace out the wiring and figure it out. We can only help when we know how it's wired. I know this is a monumental task for you, but we were in the same boat, so to speak, when we got ours 10 years ago. POs sometimes change things and don't document them. You may be able to find the PO and ask him.

F

flyb0i

Thanks Stu

Stu,

okay i will try to scope that out...being new to this realm i was wondering if it was safe to start the engine with the alternator switch in the off position????

Just do not want to fry anything the first time out....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Since you don't know what it's for, and since

"off" alternators are not good, I would run with the switch ON and NEVER turn it off until you know what it does and how it works.

A

al

thanks for the info

Will do...thanks for the info...i look forward to getting out on the bay once i figure all this stuff out....

al

Status
Not open for further replies.