Alternator // regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick

What is the easiest way to check an alternator on the diesel engine....and the voltage regulator too. If the Alternator is working won't there always be some voltage on the main lead output? A fast answer would be nice ...I need to do this job quick.... Engine is Universal 25. Rick S/V Illusion Cat 36 Hull no. 770

D

Dean Bachelor

working on mine tonite

Rick, I had some trouble with mine last week. Tonite I have a friend coming over tonite with his test meter. I will reply again in the morning with what I find out. Talk soon, Dean

D

Dean Bachelor

found out my problem

Rick, sorry for the delay in responding. I had a couple guys from work come down to the boat and help me sort it out, here goes. I thought my alt. was shot because there was no charge with engine running, I just got this boat and the owner never explained the "polarity" switch. When the diesel is running and the shore power is disconnected the polarity needs to be switched, the alt. has a protective circuit. If you knew all that, here is what we did. Put a continuity tester on the batterys with shore power connected, they were taking a charge, put the cont. tester on the batterys with no shore power and WITH the engine running, no charge , thats when we flipped the switch and they started charging. I put a mirror down in behind the alt. and there is a sticker on the voltage reg. showing the terminal descriptions, this told us which ones are power and ground and alt. lead. They also found out that all 3 of my batterys were junk. They brought a battery LOAD tester, clamped it on each battery and pushed the button to find out that they drained almost immediately. I got all new ones, and learned to use the electrical syst. now all is well, I hope. We are going on a 4 day trip to the Mackinaw Bridge so I hope is is ok. I hope this helped, E mail me at www.blowinganddrifting@yahoo.com Talk soon, Dean

J

Jeff Walker

Polarity and DC current?

Dean, Your experience is very interesting regarding the polarity switch. My Cat 30 has an indicator light but not a switch. If the light comes on it usually means there is a problem with the shore power 120 AC and that current is detected in the neutral ground wire. That's interesting that your switch is effecting the alternator current back to the batteries. The two circuits should be independent and I find that my alternator output is the same whether or not I'm connected to shore power. I have noticed that the internal regulator on the Lucas alternator keeps the amperage at a fairly low level. I think they were designed for car batteries and not deep cycle marine batteries. Thanks for the info, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.