Alternator Pulley Removal M25XP 51A (Motorola)

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
My new Leece Neville Alternator as replacement for my Motorola 51A one on my Catalina 30 M25Xp came without a pulley. I tried to get this center nut on the old one loose, tried a metal stick trough the fan wheels (bend a few blades), but all to no avail, I found some posts in car forums talking about the need of an impact driver. Before I buy one, any one knows another way ? Does the pulley get off at all or is it one part with the fan wheel. Or should I buy a new pulley for the alternator ?

Thanks for any tips !!

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
thanks guys, Just saw an harbor freight ad for an electrical impact driver for 30 bucks, Will get one tomorrow.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
My new Leece Neville Alternator as replacement for my Motorola 51A one on my Catalina 30 M25Xp came without a pulley. I tried to get this center nut on the old one loose, tried a metal stick trough the fan wheels (bend a few blades), but all to no avail, I found some posts in car forums talking about the need of an impact driver. Before I buy one, any one knows another way ? Does the pulley get off at all or is it one part with the fan wheel. Or should I buy a new pulley for the alternator ?

Thanks for any tips !!

Which model Leece-Neville? Some have a 17mm shaft and some are 5/8" shaft. Over the years Universal shipped alts with both shaft sizes. 17mm bore pulleys are much easier to find than 5/8". You should cross check your model #'s and shaft diameters before going to all the trouble of yanking the old pulley only to find it won't fit the hew alt.

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
Which model Leece-Neville? Some have a 17mm shaft and some are 5/8" shaft. Over the years Universal shipped alts with both shaft sizes. 17mm bore pulleys are much easier to find than 5/8". You should cross check your model #'s and shaft diameters before going to all the trouble of yanking the old pulley only to find it won't fit the hew alt.
Thank you for the info. The new one is 110-517 OEM Prestolite Alternator 8MR2049K 8EM2007KA, the old was Motorola 8MR2049K. So I assumed the they were identical shaft wise. And they seemed to be, I just measured the old shaft and indeed, it's 5/8", Strange that the mm shaft is easier to find than the 5/8" in this country btw ;-)

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
Thank you all for your help and tips. I got an impact driver from Harbor F. and it worked like a charm! Pulley off in seconds. Switched it over to the Lees/Prestolite alternator and installed it again. Will tackle the wiring tomorrow and then be hopefully back up and running!