Alternator charging for lithium batteries

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
From our RV friends I found this article.

CHARGING DIY CAMPER BATTERIES WITH A B2B (BATTERY TO BATTERY) CHARGER
A battery to battery charger takes the voltage and amperage that is being put out by the vehicle alternator and regulates the amperage down to a modest pre-set level and boosts the voltage as necessary to fully charge any batteries.
This decrease in amperage lowers the strain of your alternator greatly and also gives us a solid number from which to work with when being able to accurately determine how many amps the charger will operate at.
The boost in voltage is INCREDIBLY important for being able to charge higher voltage lithium batteries from alternator that can’t quite put out that much voltage. If the power from the alternator is hitting the DC-DC Charger at 13.8V and the Batteries need to be charged at 14.6V, the DC-DC Charger will boost the 13.8V from the alternator to the 14.6V the batteries require. On DC-DC Chargers, this voltage is also programmable so it will work for Lithium, AGM, Carbon Foam, Salt Water, or whatever other battery type you throw at it.

I have never used this but might be worth for some to explore. From what I gather you could charge your AGM or Lithium batteries from the engine alternator using a regular battery (starting battery) as a pass thru to a converter which would boost the voltage. I heard about it from an RVer using the tow vehicle alternator to charge his lithium house bank when on the road.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Voltage is one part of the charging equation, the other is current. Will the alternator produce enough current to properly charge the batteries? Will the motor be run long enough to enjoy any benefits if the charge current is low?

Firefly carbon foam batteries want to be charged at .4 C, or 40% of the battery's capacity, at 116 ah capacity, the alternator needs to produce 46 amps at 14.4 v to properly charge the battery. Some batteries are less sensitive to lower charge rates so this solution might work for them. It will also work for systems that have mixed chemistry, say a FLA start battery and an AGM house bank where the charging profiles are different.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Seem to be more effective for Gel or AGM batteries. I had no idea this B2B converters were on the market. I just threw it out there to see if it had possibilities. Thanks Maine for the article.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Seem to be more effective for Gel or AGM batteries. I had no idea this B2B converters were on the market. I just threw it out there to see if it had possibilities. Thanks Maine for the article.
Or for trying to charge LiFePO4 batteries with the stock alternator when you want to take the inexpensive-way out rather than using a proper externally regulated alternator. A B2B charger is less expensive than an external regulator, performance alternator and LiFePO4 batteries that are actually designed for the marine market with a BMS that can safely shut down an alternator..