Alternator Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
- - Long Beach, NY
I have aked this question before,however I have not received any replies. I cannot be the only owner of a cat 30 with Universal M25XP who wishes to replace their alternator belt. On my boat there is zero clearance between the flywheel and the fiberglass engine enclosure. Even with the alternator removed you cannot get the belt off of the engine. I also noticed that the current alternator does not apear to be in-line with the belt. I had removed the alternator to replace, but have since decided to allow the yard to perform the work. I replaced the alternator, and since have noticed it does not seem to sit correctly. I did nothing during the removal other than disconnect the two bolts. I replaced them exactly as I removed them. There were no shims or anything else present. The existing alternator bracket looks perfect, and it is an 89 engine. I believe the Universal modification to the bracket occured in 88. Any thoughts? Although the yard is going to perform the installation of the new alternator (an exact replacement, except a Leece-Neeville) they do not plan on performing the work until they splash the boat in mid-May. I hate to discover a problem so late in the game.

J

John

Hi chief

I have a 88 C30 and my glass lip is cut so i can change the belt.My alt was also off about 1/4" and i fixed it.I changed the alt bracket last year becouse it was welded once and started to crack again. John PS I have sliped the belt past the floor by pulling the belt and turning the crankshaft ,the floor bends so the belt passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.