Alternator assembly ... or, when curiosity gets the better of me

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
:facepalm:

I got the pully off the alternator for my upgrade and I do a little cleaning up at the cover. So I think I may as well take her apart and see if the interior needs a little attention. Maybe some of you already know where this is going and will be laughing at me already ...
IMG_4016.jpg

It looks pretty nice and clean but I remove the stator anyway. See those 2 little graphite brushes just hanging there in space? How in the F'ing Hell do you get those back in place? I find the 2 springs that released them as soon as the rotor shaft pulls out. I can't get my fingers in there, so I removed the brush holder assembly and try to figure something out.

I know how it goes back together, I just don't know how to do it! I tried some little strips of tape, but that obviously won't work. The only thing I can think of is there must be some kind of disappearing glue that you can use that magically releases the friction on the brushes only after the stator is back in place. :laugh:

Is there some trick to doing this? My next step is to drop it off at an alternator experts shop tomorrow. I'm hoping they can do it! :huh:

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Tricky stuff! Usually, you can retract the brushes (in the first picture) and put a wire or small rod in through that housing (small hole in cover). That will hold the brushes retracted while you put in the rotor. Then ya pull the wire/toothpick/whatever worked out the back cover, releasing the brushes.. Usually.. this is how these get reassembled.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
E
Tricky stuff! Usually, you can retract the brushes (in the first picture) and put a wire or small rod in through that housing (small hole in cover). That will hold the brushes retracted while you put in the rotor. Then ya pull the wire/toothpick/whatever worked out the back cover, releasing the brushes.. Usually.. this is how these get reassembled.
Exactly!

Oct 26, 2008
I'll give it another try, but I couldn't figure out how to retain them when I had the assembly out. When I have the assembly attached in place, I couldn't manipulate the brushes to fit in the slots for various space restrictions.

Then I could not figure out how I was going to pull a retainer out when the stator is back in place. The stator occupies all the space. Do you bend a long wire conforming to the case so that you can pull it out when the stator is in place? That's what I was trying to do with tape, but I couldn't get the tape to hold the brushes contained long enough to even install the assembly.

Oct 26, 2008
@Scott T-Bird Could you remind us what this "upgrade" of yours entails?
Basically doing some spring cleaning on the engine as a whole ... replacing hoses and cleaning parts & enclosure. I purchased a serpentine pulley kit and installing it so removing the 3 pulleys at the crank shaft, fresh water pump and alternator. One new pulley slips over the crank shaft pulley so the original doesn't have to be removed but I'm removing the gear case to replace the gasket so I need to take it off anyway. I'm hoping alignment is not going to give me a problem. I'm not that far yet. My next step is replacing a bad gasket at the gear case to eliminate a small oil leak. There are a couple oil seals that will be replaced as well. The tricky part will be separating the fuel injection pump and putting it back in place correctly.

Oct 26, 2008
Dunno, Scott.. isn't the oval hole just above the center cap for the nail/retainer pin?
Sure looks like it! I'm going to give it another try. I was fussing around with it for more than an hour yesterday before I finally decided to just pack it up and take it somewhere. I'll get back into it later today, I think. Thanks for that video, it gave me that ah ha moment! :biggrin:

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
And there you have it, looking at a problem from all sides to find the solution.......:beer:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks for taking me down the rabbit hole, virtually.
I can see how the saying, ”curiosity killed the cat”. Became a thing. Thankfully we live in the day when we have SBO and youtube.
Good luck.

Oct 26, 2008
So if I were a gambler, I would have money down saying Scott tears apart three more items that he can’t rebuild before he launches. Any takers?
Ha ha ... Sue has me on strict orders right now. She doesn't want to see any more parts in our basement living room and she's keeping track! She's tired of looking at the toilet that I bought and haven't installed yet (it only looks like it is ready for use ... right next to the couch).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is a great saying.. Only problem is it is winter. When you want to think about the the boat, a sailor get fidgety. When a sailor gets fidgety and they have time on their hands they bring new "ready to use" toilets into there basement and set them up.

That had me laughing as I remembered the scene in the movie "Couples Retreat". Vaughan's son sees the toilet setup in the store. Feels the need and puts the toilet to use.

Careful Scott.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Ha ha ... Sue has me on strict orders right now. She doesn't want to see any more parts in our basement living room and she's keeping track! She's tired of looking at the toilet that I bought and haven't installed yet (it only looks like it is ready for use ... right next to the couch).
And I thought I was the only one who laid out all of my parts for my spring projects so I could admire them. :biggrin: Those blue aluminum pulleys are a piece of art.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
purchased a serpentine pulley kit and installing it
Thx for the reminder. What size alternator did you get/have? Is it a Hitachi? What size is your house bank? Just curious. Good luck, hope your alternator repair shop does you "good."