Alternatives to West Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
What comes around goes around

I can understand that the stores are all different... that is what makes retail business work. The people in the Marlton NJ store tend to be snobby (like other people in that area). The woman who took my application for the buyers' club acted like she was doing me a huge favor. They all looked askance at me when I went out without buying anything (I wanted to research the catalogue first. I'll be back). The one new guy was the friendliest, but also the least clued-in (so far). I'll talk to him next time. I always get terrific help at Boaters' World in Moorestown NJ. The people there are helpful and friendly, mostly retired guys returning to work who chose this job because they like it. They know me and frequently throw in a few extra feet of hose, extra screws, etc., without being asked. They did NOT add shipping to the tank I bought-- just charged the catalogue price plus tax. The guy two boats down from me made his case this afternoon for the local store up Rt 9. I can't agree with his findings from what I have observed there but then again he knows the guy better and shops there more often. I guess, like back in the days when I named my own prices while supporting the local music store, it all depends on the relationship you cultivate. But if that is the case, what's the point of the catalogue? --the guy you know should just be able to get you anything and at your price. That is my point, and when you are having it ordered for yourself you can start negotiating. I did advise the WM staff what they should do. I don't care if people like me get them playing off Boaters' World or vice versa. That's what competition is about and neither of those chains will go broke for cutting you or me some slack on purchase prices. Remember their costs are all set by THEIR suppliers, and if you are comparing apples and apples the only difference is the relationship the stores have with THEIR suppliers and the mark-up they choose to exact from you. If you see a tank somewhere for 89.95 and the same thing for 149.95 elsewhere, there is a reason for it-- and that should be the telling factor in all cases. JC

J

Jim willis

And what happens when Boaters Wold goes "West"

Then you will have to pay those high prices most of the time. THat is what monopolies do and nobody since the days of TR seems to give a damn about anti-competive business practices. Where did Boat/US go? and E&B? -bought by West and they will try to kill suppliers who don't "roll over". Pity becuase individuals at the store level are often great and doing their best but suffering from a centralized system that allows little room for initiative. ALW

C

Chuck

Marlton Store

John, I too go to the Marlton store. I found sevice inconsistant. I think there's only one guy who's real good there. I think I know the lady you're talking about and you are cvorrect in your description. Ultimately, I need to be more prepared and order on the net. I'm really concerned about how many more enterprises WM is capable of buying out, Next is defender, sailnet etc.. Your pain is our pain! /Chuck S/V Windsongs H23

J

John

On Cape Cod, Boater's World is almost

consistently cheaper than West. They don't have the sailing stock that West has. Their staff doesn't seem to be as knowledgable as WM. BW is more apt to cut the extra foot of line and not charge. WM will measure to the 1/4" and charge for it.

R

Ron Mills

Based on the aforementioned

how did Wal-Mart ever get to where it is and why is it not the most expensive place in town.

J

Jack Tyler

John Visser's post needs to be reread, IMO...

I used to be a WM fan and now find myself in a neutral corner - however, it isn't because of major changes in WM's biz philosophy or policies. And I sure am getting tired of reading rants by folks who think WM should be everything for everyone at a price competitive with what some vendors offer for some things. I also wonder how many writers in this post have bothered to use both the written comments form available at every store (which goes to the Manager and, if s/he is honest, up the chain) AND the custsvc email addresses which are specifically intended to collect feedback on WM & store operations. Much of the content in this thread would be far better directed there. While one can talk about the +/- of WM (or other vendors) ad nauseum, I'd like to emphasize three things: 1. John's comments are right on target IMO since most of this thread's gripes are about pricing. WM invites price matching; they don't have to love you for taking them up on it. And the Big WM Computer at HQ is recording all those coded price breaks; it's not a bad form of feedback. If you don't like some of their prices, go elsewhere - Geesh, how is that different from any other biz? How does that make WM especially evil or bad? 2. IME most sailors know very, very little about their local/regional businesses/vendors/mfgrs, nor do they wish to get their hands dirty by talking with an alternator rebuild shop e.g. when shopping for a new HiCap boat alternator. I could write painfully long examples of how the local boat vendors in my area (St. Pete, FL) almost never go into WM, are heavily incented to get best price when working against fixed quotes, and who get good products and custom work done reasonably and on time. There's a tremendous personal growth opportunity here for any of us who aren't already working with local metal shops, tank fabricators, electric shops, etc. and the best part is that it prepares you well for dealing with offshore vendors should you go foreign when cruising. 3. If you have the time to be complaining on this and other BB's about WM, you have the time to deliver the feedback to WM. But please adjust your expectations of the low paid WM salesman/woman who is not being compensated for having solid technical knowledge, often is not even being employed full-time, and who is (understandably) far from capable of delivering that wonderful bouquet of services WM publicizes. The guys that rotate tires, change oil at Jiffy Lube, and bag your groceries are in the same wage category; consider how much faith you would put in their advice. WM Customer Service: catcustserv@westmarine.com WM Store Customer Service: strcustserv@westmarine.com Chuck Hawley, Technical VP, WM Advisor Author and as close to the 'spirtual' core of WM as Randy Repass, the former owner: chuckh@westmarine.com Jack

P

Pops

E-mail customer service?

Very good suggestions Jack. I too feel that better communications are the answer to many problems. Apparently West Marine does not share this philosophy. I have E-mailed West Marine several times reguarding service problems and have not received any response from them. It seemed to be as effective as cursing the sea.

R

Rick Webb

The Biggest Advantage to West Marine

Is it is there if I need something now or if I want to put my hands on it. All but one of the folks I have dealt with both, as a customer and representing the Coast Guard Auxiliary have been great. Not all knew everything about everything (the single exception makes you think she thinks she does) but were very willing to help figure out the answers to the questions I had. The exception was not a bad person it was just her personality and once you realized that and did not take it personally she was OK to deal with. I keep a copy of the Defender Catalog in the car and walk in with it when I am looking for something. I do not think they are evil but they are voracious in their business practices.

H

Harry

Neither defend or attack WM.

West Marine to me is like 7-11. Their prices are usually high, but THEY ARE CONVIENENT! I can buy stuff at the local grocery store cheaper than 7-11...but when I'm in a hurry I go to 7-11. We (most of us) live in a capitalistic society. Very simple...we vote with our checkbooks. It's all about supply and demand (remember "it's the economy stupid?"). WM provides a service and they are entitled to charge for it. If their prices or service go too far out of line, they will pay the consequences. Frankly, I depend on them, as I do 7-11, and don't want to see them go away. You get what you pay for. The www's of our sport don't have the bricks & mortar expense WM or BW have, nor do they employee local citizens, or pump tax dollars into the local economy. Again, it's so simple... If you don't like them, don't buy from them, and don't be surprised at the consequense.

B

Bill

email

I have had multiple problems with their web site but I will admit they resolved them quickly and with a few coupons thrown in. I did have to make calls and speak to management to do so however. Bill s/v Lady Di

F

Forrest B True

Although we have two West Marine stores in N.H. I travel the extra hour and pay the Maine sales tax because of the friendly people in the Portland store. The Portsmouth N.H. West Marine store does not price match. Last year at this time I got a quote and purchased a Mercury outboard motor (identical model and year) from Dover Marine for a hundred dollars less than West Marine at Portsmouth. When asked if they price matched they said yes but wouldn't because of Mercury's policy on pricing. Go figure. DeFender US is good. Sailnet will be our best bet when they iron out the bugs. Boat US sold us out.

W

Wayne

One more alternative

I support the Chandlery on this web site as a first alternative since I value it so much. Recently, some friends here on the east coast turned me on to this source of marine supplies in Poulsbo WA. www.marinamarket.com They outfitted a new boat here on the east coast and saved thousands purchasing ground tackle, electronics, and a large list of equipment and supplies. Another friend said he got his bottom paint from marinamarket and saved 40 percent off the WM catalog price. www.marinamarket.com. They don't have a big stock but will drop ship to you at substantial savings. They also are an interesting source of imported foods.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Fair is foul and foul is fair.

I think my problem with high advertised prices that get better when you bargain is that the intention of the seller is to take you for a bath first. I spent a lot of time in the boating trade as a materials buyer and my rule is still that I'd rather buy from the guy who has already made the attempt to offer better prices (and sometimes I'll request and be granted further discounts because of my loyalty, thus making it a two-way street). If a seller has to be summoned for a better price, he's got a reason for keeping his advertised prices high-- and that's self-explanatory. The guy with the lower price will love you for showing up. He's taken the initiative and deserves your patronage for it. Why should I put forth any effort to talk one guy into MATCHING someone else's price when the someone else has already done his homework? He should significantly beat it or forget it. Given equal items and service quality I say let the high-price guy eat crow. JC 2

P

Pat Spino, "Flying Colors"

From a Mt. Laurel WM associate...

.....a different viewpoint. Wow, a lot of anger towards WM. I even hesitate to respond because explanations against anger usually are ineffective. However, allow me a few moments. First of all, John, I wish that I were working the day that you came into the store. We have talked several times about the wonderful club racer made a while back by the Cherubinis known as the "Raider", one of which I owned for 12 years. Marvelous boat. Then again I would have probably spent the entire work day "picking your brain" instead of working. I've been with the Mt. Laurel store for about 3 years---very part time. WM is a bit stingy with hours for part timers for several reasons: the seasonal nature of the business in this part of the country; the money saved by not having to pay benefits; and the money saved by not paying salaries during the "down" time. It amazes me whenever I go into a boating store (ANY boating store) and find what I want, especially as a sailor. When looking through the WM catalogue it will soon become evident that there is no way in H... that ANY store could stock all, or most of, the 1000's of items found in the catalogue. Not to mention all of the items NOT listed in the catalogue that you can order through our Special Order system. Additionally, 8 out of 10 people who frequent the Mt. Laurel store are Delaware Bay/River powerboaters/fisherman. It's amazing that there is any sailing hardware (very expensive hardware, as you know) in the store at all. Since the new store manager took over the sail department has expanded and improved, however, it would be unrealistic to think that that particular widget which you are looking for would be stocked. On the other hand, WM has been adding to the regular store inventory most, if not all, items which are ordered through the store as a "backorder", making that widget a regularly stocked item. It is not fair to suggest that because the item is not stocked reflects on the knowledge of the salesperson. WM pricing is generally high. However, the company has a policy of price matching. Simply bring in the advertised price and we will verify it and gladly meet the price. Dispite what others in this thread have said, we will do so with no hassel whatsoever AND, hopefully, with a smile. Also, John, as a boatbuilder, you should apply for the WM Port Supply discount card. Simply fill out a form and fax it to WM corporate (we will even fax it for you), and in about a week or two you will receive a plastic credit card which automatically discounts most items at the register. John, I am on duty this week M, T W, F & Sat. I invite you to come in and speak to me, Pat, and I will do whatever I can to help you change your opinion of us. By the way, the complete staff at Mt Laurel consists of 9 people, two full timers (management) and the rest part timers. Of the seven part timers, 3 are sailors (not a bad percentage), and two of the three hold USCG Master/Mates licenses, and one holds an American Sailing Association instructor's certificate. Looking forward to seeing, and talking to you, in the near future. Pat

D

Derek Rowell

On WM price matching against Boat US

This is probably a moot point since they have now joined forces, but last year at a local WM store I asked for a price match to Boat US for a product costing about $45 (Boat US was $38). The store manager said that their policy was to add the cost of BoatUS membership before price matching. When I said I was already a BoatUS member he said that didn't matter. Is this really the WM policy? I was in the same WM store the other day to purchase an Echo Charger. There were two in a glass case, one an opened unit that was on display, the other in a sealed box. The same manager opened the case and handed me the opened box. I told him that I wanted the sealed one and he said, "this is the one I'm selling you - not that one." I was a bit taken aback by this and told him "that is the one I'm buying - not this one." He said "no" and refused to give me the sealed one, so I reached in the case and simply took it. I couldn't believe his attitude! It seems almost comical now, but I have to say I was really po'd about his attitude at the time. Not good for customer relations... That said, I have found most WM employees to be very helpful.

B

Bob

A good word for SailNet

on at least two occasions they have gone out of their way to help me, and once took my word for it that an item had been omitted from a shipment without question. Another time I ordered a backstay from them on a Monday, John told me they had 10 rigging orders in front of mine, but that I would get it within the two weeks I had given as my "must have" date. On Wednesday it was delivered FedEx. Later when I thanked John while placing another order, he said, "I went back to the rigging shop and they were kind of busy so I made it up myself so it would go out quicker." That kind of service gets my respect and loyalty - plus their prices are generally quite good and no shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.