alternatives to thru hull fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2012
Hunter 28.5 dana point
Ok so I have a Catalina 25 1985 the previous owner removed the thru hull fittings for the original sink icebox drain (port side under stove) as well as the fitting in the bow that brought in salt water for the head (locasted under the v berth) . All was refiberglassed at boat yard, ( beautiful job) The result though is now there is no way for sink or ice box to drain out of boat. Is there a way or has anyone, installed a simple thu hull fitting thru the hull above the water line to allow for the sink to drain out and or the ice box?? The only thru hull remiaing is on the port side allowing for the head to dump out of the holding tank to the sea.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Call it what you will, it's still a thru hull fitting.

I've replaced all my above water line thru-hull fittings with SS ones for appearance sake.

Defender puts out a nice one as shown below. It has a hose fitting on the end.

Groco also puts out an interesting one in that it terminates in a female tapered pipe thread if you're in a cramped location and need an immediate 90 turn.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What makes you think the OEM thru hulls won't drain your sink or icebox? They did on my C25.

Oct 1, 2012
Hunter 28.5 dana point
The original thru hull fittings are no longer there the previous owenr had them removed and the holes fiberglassed over.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I apologize, I reread your OP and must have missed it completely. Doh!

If you are going to the trouble of installing another one under the sink/stove area, I strongly suggest that you do one underwater. The reason is that you'll get tired of your outflow going outside, it makes noise, and you'll end up with a stain on your hull below any thru hull above the waterline. Your neighbors will always know you're doing the dishes! :naughty:

Oct 1, 2012
Hunter 28.5 dana point
My question is on a catalina 25, can you put a thru hull above water line to attach to ice box and sink, this would avoid having the boat hauled out and a below water line installed.

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
The original was put below the water line for a reason. If you put one above the water line you will discover the reason for yourself!

When the boat heals to port, the box on my old C25 would fill with water , then drain again when the boat was level. I could never figure out what was happening to my ice until my wife just happened to look in there while I was heeled to port and asked "where did all this water in the box come from?"

Catalina put the thru hull as low as they could, but couldn't stop the box from taking on some water. If you put a thru hull above the water line, I would recommend you put a ball valve on it and close it BEFORE you go sailing! A prolonged heal to port could fill your boat with water once the thru hull goes under water (and it will!!)

Keep in mind that water will find its own level, and as you heal to port, the sink drain would probably go below the level of the water outside the boat. The water, in just trying to maintain level, will flow into the drain and into your sink. The good news is that it would stop coming in once the cabin of your boat was full of water!

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
If you really wanted to do this in the water, you may be able to "T" off your port-side thru-hull that services your head discharge. You will need to add a couple of diverter valves in this mix. A valve to keep the holding tank fluid from backing up into your sink drain and vice-versa. It may just be better and easier to instal a proper thru-hull for the sink.

Oct 1, 2012
Hunter 28.5 dana point
Hey thanks for the info. Mattituck??? I grew up in Wading River. small worlld. Been to Mattituck harbor bunches of time kept our boat at Mt. Sinai.

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
Yes -- Mattituck on the Peconic Bay sides. Yes, I've been out to your area a few times (both Dana Point and Mt Sinai). We stayed the night once in Mr Sinai -- nice harbor and area! But we don't have yr-round sailing like you do in Dana Point :)

Status
Not open for further replies.