Alternative trailer specs for Mac 26d

May 13, 2017
Macgregor 26 Baltimore
I just got a Mac 26d that does not have a trailer. I would love to have a Mac trailer for it, but they are hard to find. In considering an alternative trailer I am curious about what specs I need to be careful of, such as: length, length from post to the end of the trailer, location of axel for proper tongue weight, width between fenders, etc. Does anyone know about any of these measurements or where to find these measurements?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There are several macgregor sub-forums on the SBO site. I'd go there and ask someone who owns a Mac 26D if they could take some measurements for you. Someone will. The macs tend to sit on single axle trailers. You might want to think about adding a second axle and some surge breaks to your trailer build. (I've owned three macs in the past)

Just off of the top of my head, I'd think you want about 40% of the boat to sit behind the axle for tongue weight. You want your skids long enough to keep the overhang off of the back to about 3' at most. The 26D won't need a keel support but you may want to think about a "rest" to let the dagger board down on while towing but maybe not. I'd be worried if the board came loose and dropped while towing if there wasn't something to keep it from dropping all the way to the road. But I guess the axle housing would actually do that for you. (?)

If it were me, I'd make the distance from the bow stop to the hitch about a foot longer than what you tend to find on most mac trailers . This will make launching a little easier on those shallow ramps. I also find longer trailers are more forgiving when backing than shorter trailers.

The Glen-L company used to sell an excellent "how to" trailer build guide. I have a copy but it seems they now want to sell you plans instead of teach you how-to. Here is the link to their plans.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Ah! I looked at the Glen-L site a little more closely. Seems that if you buy the plans, the How-to booklet comes free. It looks like the same booklet I have. I found it very helpful. I have not build a trailer from scratch but I have rebuilt a few and re-purposed one using things I learned from the booklet.

It is not that hard to find a really crappy :poop: boat sitting on a savable trailer. If you want to try that route check craigs list and then limit the value of the boat to a few hundred dollars max.

• Helpful