Almost Own an O'Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Okay so the marina accepted my offer, and I am going to go back down later this week to poke and prode it for soft spots. And, provided that there aren't any, it looks like it might be the one. I liked the Hunter. I did, 'tis true, but the O'Day was a little better suited for teaching me to sail, I think. If I knew what I was doing as far as sailing, maybe I would go with a larger boat, but I don't know anything - I don't even know if I'll like sailing - so I am going with something that is smaller - both in size and in initial investment. So, I am super excited!
I would prefer the O'Day 23 over the Hunter 25 myself. The 23 is trailerable and most of them have the hinged tabernacle for easy mast raising. The Hunters are very heavy. The Hunter 27s don't have a hinged tabernacle. I'm not sure about the Hunter 25.
One of our club members owns a Hunter 27 and he loves the boat because it's roomy inside but this boat weighs about 8,000 lbs I think and it's hard for him to pick up his mooring pendant line at times. He lost a nice boat hook last year when the boat drifted back and the hook got caught on the line. He couldn't free it fast enough so he had to let it go. I know for a fact that I can hold my O'Day 222 with a boat hook in normal conditions, but then I have a 12' extension boat hook and can free it fast if I ever have to.
When I bought my O'Day 222 new at the boat show, the winches and tracks w/cars were supposed to be on the cabin, and the boat was supposed to have these short rails on on the stern. I asked for a full stern rail and I also asked that the winches and tracks be left off so that I could mount them where the O'Day 23s have them mounted, which is on the combing for easy single hand sailing. I wanted my boat set up in the same as the O'Day 23. It's your call though, so just take your time and choose carefully. Good Luck!
Joe

Mar 24, 2011
Oday 23 Manitowoc
Hello! I wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the conversation! Having just purchased my '73 O' Day on Sunday, I'm finding this to be a wonderful, informative blog. I'm also new to sailing but have long wanted to join the club. The ad in the paper two weeks ago was just too tempting. I'll be sailing on Lake Michigan. I'm looking at getting a slip in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. We're not too far from Door County, Wisconsin which is a sailboat haven during the summer up here. All new things to think about such as winter storage and paying $1085 for a 23 foot slip for 6 1/2 months. I'm still excited about the prospect of getting out there!

Stan

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Welcome to the Oday gang twocreeks. Pleasant sailing and don't hesitate to ask advise on any subject. Somebody here has an answer for you. Often more than one which is great as it offers options that are bound to suit your particular situation.

Mar 26, 2011
Catalina 22 Lanoka Harbor
I am psyched about the boat, and I am convinced that it is a better boat for me than the Hunter 25' that I saw, but when I start putting the list together of what I need to just get the boat home, I twitch. Before I can even get it home: gas tank; battery; replace the daggerboard pendant; plug the through hull hole; eye bolt; step mast; remove wasps nests. And, then the rigging and raising of the sails. And, when these thoughts fester around in my head, I start cruising the Craigslist ads to see what other boats in better condition might be out there, to minimize the stress on myself. I thought sailing was supposed to be relaxing. I am stressed just thinking about the details. And, I don't even know how to sail, yet.

Mar 26, 2011
But, Trinkka, I am armed with lots of good advice. And, I have been all over this website and can see that it seems everyone who owns an O'Day wouldn't trade it for a Hunter. Maybe the 23' deserves to be resurrected.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
I am psyched about the boat, and I am convinced that it is a better boat for me than the Hunter 25' that I saw, but when I start putting the list together of what I need to just get the boat home, I twitch. Before I can even get it home: gas tank; battery; replace the daggerboard pendant; plug the through hull hole; eye bolt; step mast; remove wasps nests. And, then the rigging and raising of the sails. And, when these thoughts fester around in my head, I start cruising the Craigslist ads to see what other boats in better condition might be out there, to minimize the stress on myself. I thought sailing was supposed to be relaxing. I am stressed just thinking about the details. And, I don't even know how to sail, yet.
Heck, I've got more than that after I get the projects done just to put the boat in the water.
There'll always be things to do on the boat. The older the boat the more likely there will be repairs. Man, you've got no idea how much there is to do you buy a new boat.
Focus on the task at hand. One thing at a time. Do your homework. Enjoy the process.
We've all been there. The whole 18 mo I spent on my rebuild My mind was always working on problems and solutions. It was usually the last thing on my mind when I went to sleep and in my thoughts when I awoke in the morning. That was actually the fun part. Day dreaming. Gives you an excuse for not listening.
Good luck on whatever you decide. Even if you don't get an O'Day there's other boats on this forum.

Serenity Now, Serenity Now

Rich

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
But, Trinkka, I am armed with lots of good advice. And, I have been all over this website and can see that it seems everyone who owns an O'Day wouldn't trade it for a Hunter. Maybe the 23' deserves to be resurrected.
I think the O'Day 23 is a good compromise between the O'Day 222 and the O'Day 25 and 26. It's running rigging is set up better than the 222 and the free board on the 23 is a little less the 25 and 26.
The later model O'Day 23s are pretty much in demand today. As the years went by, the O'Day manufacturer had resolved some issues that were present in their earlier models. With that said, the later model O'Days of various sizes had rudder blade issues, including my boat. I've been through two rudders and I'm on my third one which seems to be holding up pretty well. A company in Clearwater Florida was supplying the foam filled rudder blades for O'Day back then and these blades are still breaking to this day.
There are still some O'Day 23s out there in great shape. I received an email from a guy in the state of Wisconsin who is selling his O'Day 23 with outboard and flat bunk trailer, and his boat is in excellent shape. He may have sold it by now. He's buying an O'Day 25 full keel with a roller trailer.

Mar 26, 2011
I was talking to a sailing instructor today - and he recommended a Marine Survey. So, I made some calls. It is relatively cheap for a 23' boat, so I am thinking about it. They tell me they go over every inch of the boat and itemize the parts, and tell you if there's anything wrong with it. I was thinking this was maybe a good idea, but then, perhaps the sals pitch went a little too far, when they said that I would need a survey to have the boat insured. I hadn't even thought about insurance, actually. Guess it would be good if it sinks and it has to be dredged out. What are your thoughts on a survey? And, BTW, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a very nice looking 1983 O'Day 23 in Stony Point, NY (asking price $1750, which is less the one I am looking at), but my Joe thinks it is too far a distance to go to fetch a boat, particularly since the one we're looking at is literally around the corner.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Unless you have been restoring boats for quite a while and really know your way around the boat you are looking at, a survey can save you a lot of money. It will tell you not just what needs to be addressed but what needs to be addressed first from a safety aspect. It will save you money because you will be addressing issue that will cost you if they are not corrected. It will also save you money because many new owners spend money on items they want but really do not need. So then those owners must dig into their pockets to get what is really needed or not be able to enjoy the boat. If the survey price is reasonable and from a good surveyor, it will save you money in the long run.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I was talking to a sailing instructor today - and he recommended a Marine Survey. So, I made some calls. It is relatively cheap for a 23' boat, so I am thinking about it. They tell me they go over every inch of the boat and itemize the parts, and tell you if there's anything wrong with it. I was thinking this was maybe a good idea, but then, perhaps the sals pitch went a little too far, when they said that I would need a survey to have the boat insured. I hadn't even thought about insurance, actually. Guess it would be good if it sinks and it has to be dredged out. What are your thoughts on a survey? And, BTW, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a very nice looking 1983 O'Day 23 in Stony Point, NY (asking price $1750, which is less the one I am looking at), but my Joe thinks it is too far a distance to go to fetch a boat, particularly since the one we're looking at is literally around the corner.
Mary,
I think that a marine survey of a boat you are interested in is a good idea. Especially if you're not sure of what to look out for. I'd like to believe that I could be successful in being able to check out a strange boat that I am interested in buying but sometimes we fall in love with a boat and be totally blinded in the process. I've been guilty of that one a couple of times, believe me.

Whether you need to purchase boat insurance really depends on the requirements of a boatyard or a private yacht club.
Our yacht club requires that members with boats who use the boat ramp, docks, or mooring field, purchase liability insurance and most insurance companies in my state will provide a rider under your homeowners insurance for a sailboat up to 26' with an outboard less than 50 hps. I think that my premium is about $20 extra on my homeowners insurance. It sounds like I'm getting away cheap right? Wrong! My insurance company like most of them, have a dangerous pets category and because of the fact that Penelope is part Pit Bull, I had to switch to Safety Insurance which is $100 more on my premium. Go figure!

$1750 for a 1983 O'Day 23 sounds very suspicious to me. Then again, it could be on the up and up. Sometimes money is owed for storage and the yard or owner lets it go for cheap money. The guy in Wisconsin is asking $5500 for his O'Day 23 and he will get it.
A couple of years ago, one our club members bought an old O'Day 27 for about $2000 that way.
Several years ago, one of my friends gave away his 75 O'Day 25 keel/centerboard sloop! What a great boat! she sails like a dream. Not only that, but the boat was fully found. It came with an Autohelm autopilot like mine, stereo, CDI Roller Furler, fiberglass pram, and braid mooring pendant line w/ pick up stick! I sailed it up from the Cape to our club on the river and the guy who owns it right now loves that boat with a passion. We call it, the "free O'Day." Who'da thunk it?

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Warning, the below post is somewhat of a downer!
:soapbox:
There have been some excellent replies and advice and i have enjoyed following this thread, but i just have a sense of unease. I am afraid most of the advice, including my own, has been too much on the positive side regarding the aquisition of this particular boat. This boat sounds like a boat that needs renovation. Not just routine maintenence. If that short list of things is all there is to do to make this boat that has been setting ignored for a couple of years or more seaworthy it would be nothing short of a true miracle. Also I get the impression that M & J are not looking to take on a big do it yourself project involving the many skills required to make even basic sailboat restoration.
Maybe i missed it somewhere in the thread, and if i did please just ignore me, but i don't get the impression that you have the desire to put a lot of hours and way more money than you think into a boat project.
Unless you are wanting to put a boat in your backyard, and spend tons of hours and money on supplies, tools, and parts, then you must look for a boat that is in "excellent" condition, then get your survey done on THAT boat to find out what is wrong on THAT boat. You think you will be spending more on the "excellent" boat? You would be wrong. Unless you have the desire, skill, and money to restore a good old boat, then you need to find a good old boat that someone else has restored and maintained properly. It may be more expensive up front, but way cheaper than getting a boat and putting a few grand into it before you realize your way over your head. Just like buying one of those good old houses that are a MONEY PIT.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
That's not being a downer but realistic Keith. Those of us engaged in or completing restoration of older boats know what a challenge that process can be. Your advise regarding a restored or newer pristine boat can save thousands as compared to the restoration project boat. My own project I am on track to spend 1&1/2 times the cost of aquisition on the restoration. I did assume twice the purchase cost would be required to accomplish the project. The plus is a virtually new boat exactly the way I desire it along with an intimate knowledge of it's construction. Another benefit is a new boat at less than a third the cost of a true new boat. I also have the benefit of correcting design flaws that a new boat won't show for some years, i.e. the weakling main hatch. A restoration is definately a monster task that requires a real love of a particular boat. That's a question to answer after some serious introspection.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
I took a very different attitude when I got my O23. I got it in mid-July and I gave myself a month to get it seaworthy and in the water. My single concern was safety, not a long restoration effort. I daysailed from mid-August to the end of October that year. The following spring I tackled deck leaks, port lights and electrical. The year after I did some epoxy repairs to the transom and gunwales and replaced the lifeline stanchions which had collapsed under the weight of snow and ice on the shrinkwrap.

Now, several years later, I have few major projects left and I can think about cosmetics. In the meantime, I've sailed every summer and even taken her on a few long trips.

Oct 2, 2008
25yearslater said:
That's not being a downer but realistic Keith. Those of us engaged in or completing restoration of older boats know what a challenge that process can be. Your advise regarding a restored or newer pristine boat can save thousands as compared to the restoration project boat. My own project I am on track to spend 1&1/2 times the cost of aquisition on the restoration. I did assume twice the purchase cost would be required to accomplish the project. The plus is a virtually new boat exactly the way I desire it along with an intimate knowledge of it's construction. Another benefit is a new boat at less than a third the cost of a true new boat. I also have the benefit of correcting design flaws that a new boat won't show for some years, i.e. the weakling main hatch. A restoration is definately a monster task that requires a real love of a particular boat. That's a question to answer after some serious introspection.
Beautiful reply and exactly correct.
"The plus is a virtually new boat exactly the way I desire it along with an intimate knowledge of it's construction. Another benefit is a new boat at less than a third the cost of a true new boat."
Well said. And don't forget bragging rights :)
Keith

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
Mary and Joe -

I'm now on my second O'Day and love them both. You won't regret the purchase if you enjoy sailing. While I haven't sailed the 23, I sailed my 222 for 10 years, and it has taken me a lot of places in some strong winds.

Twocreeks -

Welcome to sailing on Lake Michigan. I sailed my 222 from Milwaukee to Manitowoc last summer and loved the trip. The summer before, we went all the way to Door County. Now that I've moved up to the 25, I'm looking forward to more harbor hopping on the western shore.

This is a great forum. I've found lots of good information about the O'Days. Welcome to the club.

Dave
O'Days 222 and 25

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
M&J,
I was told of a 222 in very good condition that's for sale. Don't know the asking price. I believe it's in Annapolis. Want seller's contact info?

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ

Oct 2, 2008
I think M and J have changed there mind as there has been no post from them in a while?

wayneR

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 34 Cambridge MD
Your 5 HP should be fine. I used 6 hp on 22 Tanzer and 24 Seafarer. No problems. The 4 stroke should be easier to start and give cleaner service. I've owned two Odays 272 and 34. Liked both very much, still cruise the 34. Nothing too fancy about the rig on the 23, just make the mast straight and pretty tight. Good luck, wayneR Cambrdge MD

Status
Not open for further replies.