Almost free boat

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
I have a chance to get a 1971 Morgan 27 almost free it needs work but its in the water and is floating. I have some of the things I will need for it . but my question is . is this a good boat. Im single and would like to live on it for at least 2 years or more. is there anyone here living on there Morgan?

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
Morgan has made many fine boats. I would first Just look for blisters as you would in any older boat that has spent its life mostly in the water.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The only consensus you'll get from the guys here is: There's no such thing as a "free" boat. If you want to go cruising, rather than just live on it... you'll need to get way more specific about condition and equipment. Good luck.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
LOL, I know there is no such thing as a free boat. It needs sails, and lines some rigging, Two winches, and a kicker. I have a few sails I could use till I have the money to buy some new ones, a few lines from my Macgregor I had a few years ago, and some rigging on a mast laying in my back yard. also I have a milk crate full of blocks I can use. I will need to buy a kicker and winches. I plan to cruise around the lake out here in Louisiana. Im a mechanic by trade and I can fix just about anything . So I should not have to send it to a boat yard to fix anything.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Boats of that vintage were built like trucks. Morgan was a reputable builder responsible for a variety of successful boats. I've seen some Morgan designed boats that I think have stood up pretty well to the changes in design that has occurred since 1971. It probably has good bones but I don't know the specific model you are looking at.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Look on sailboat data.com for more info. If you search by builder you will get a brief history of the company.

Mar 6, 2014
MORGAN o/i 41 DESTIN
great boat

I have a chance to get a 1971 Morgan 27 almost free it needs work but its in the water and is floating. I have some of the things I will need for it . but my question is . is this a good boat. Im single and would like to live on it for at least 2 years or more. is there anyone here living on there Morgan?
I own a 1979 Morgan they are built like a brick ------- house. I would check for water blisters on the X Terrier of the hull and repair them , no big thing if the boats out of the water. As far as hardware goes you will always need something even if it's a brand-new boat. Be sure and check the mast mounting points as they tend to corrode, not something you want to deal with while the boats in the water.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I bought a '71 Morgan 35' last spring... I go It for a steal.... It is a beautiful boat, clean lines, great shape, sails like a dream, and is mine.... she is very comfortable inside too... my wife named her "kai xin yuan"... it means happy home... she says it is our home on the water...

sincerely
Jess

Attachments