Allmand owners where are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
We just got my very first Allmand last week and we just love her . We are looking for others to share information about these well built vessels.Hopefully we'll put some photos on here. Thanks Skip and Audrey Hansen

G

gordon and ellen

we have allmand

we have a 1984 allmand and love it, write us back and let us know about yours and we will help you if we can answere and questions.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
super

Thank you For awhile there I thought I was the only Allmand owner out there. I never heard of them till I saw this one in Texas. I just fell in love with her. I now have her on a lake in Oklahoma. I have been tearing her apart and giving her a good cleaning . The head liner in the main cabin is great but not so for the berths. and thats proving to be quite a job . Most every option is on her. from the floors to the sliding shelves and fridge and water heater and ac, I have the original price sheet and all the options listed for her. I'm having some wiring problems hopefully I'll have them solved before too long. If you'll email me at my home address we'll exchange info. Thanks for getting in touch with me Address is .Ctskip@sbcglobal.net I can't see how to post a picture here.

Oct 25, 2005
- - Punta Gorda, Florida
New Allmand Owner

Hi. I just purchased an Allmand 31 today! I fell in love with this boat 30 years ago and when I saw one for sale locally, I couldn't resist! I should be arrested ... I "stole" it! This boat was "demasted" courtesy of Hurricane Charlie so I have some work to do. The forward stay failed and the mast fell back and landed on the stern rail which absorbed the worst of it. The mast step on the deck is torn up a bit but the mast is fine. Both hatches blew out so those need to be replaced. I'm considering making them from teak or mahogany with plexy tops myself but anyone know who made the originals and where I can find them? I'm about to order new sails as well through FX Sails. Any feedback on them? I'm excited about this boat! Bob/Punta Gorda, Florida

Oct 26, 2005
- - Charleston SC
Allmand 31 in Charleston "FINALLY"

http://www.allmandsail.com/ See the above site for lots of Allmand ownwers. My vessel is "FINALLY" a 31 tri-cabin purchased in 2000. I sail her in the Charleston area, cruising or racing 2-3 times a nonth. Come see us! Keith Gannett

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
welcome

Congratulations on your "new" Allmand. When I had "Mistico" shipped here the guy who stepped the mast complemented me on the custom built mast step. I'll add a picture tonight after I get a photo of it.As for the hatches mine seem to be original and they are made by Bomar. If you'll send me your email we can swap photos and other info. Ctskip@sbcglobal.net. I have a dodger and found that the aft cabin hatch can't open with the dodger in place. It opens fine without the dodger.I'm planning on turning it around so it'll open "backwards".So it's on my list of things to do. I'm also adding a porthole to the aft cabin inside wall "cockpit side" looking for more light and circulation, opening the aftcabin to the rest of the boat.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
hello

It's great to hear from another Allmand owner.I just bought mine not long ago . The sails I haven't quite figured them out . I know for sure they are not a set and the roller furling seems to be a main sail from another .It fits and rolls fine,but, its got a sail number on it so I'm pretty sure it's not right, And the main is sad to say the least. But the hard part is done .She's mine and it's in the water. I've sailed her once so far and it seems to be fine. Now I just have to practice under power and see how shes going to react. All part of the learning curve.The fellow I got her from said she is PFR? rated. I'm not familiar with racing, so I'm not sure what the numbers are . I have them somewhere.Thanks for the time and I can't seem to be able to open your links. Skip and Audrey

Oct 25, 2005
- - Punta Gorda, Florida
Yo ctskip!

Hi Ctskip. My e-mail is abdhart@aol.com The name of my "31" will be "Colombiana" (Colombian woman) inspired by me fiance Claudia, who must take a lot of credit for this purchase. She noticed the boat pictures on my wall and suggested that she would enjoy boating. That was enough to get me looking. You ned to be sitting down for this!! I bought "Colombiana" for $4500 including a new (used three times) 10.2 Zodiac! Hull and deck are pretty solid. Universal 16 starts right up. Mast and rigging (less one stay) are solid. Sails are shot thus the new FX sails. I'm anticipating $8000-9000 total to have her in pretty good shape! See ... I am a thief! Actually, I paid just what they were asking ... happily! The boat had a pretty good survey about 2.5 years ago. If I can just keep the Hurricanes away from her (and me!!!) What does ctskip stand for? Bob/Punta Gorda, FL

D

Doug Caron

Welcome

Welcome to the wonderful world of Allmand Ownership We have owned our Allmand for 5 years now and although sometimes it is a money pit all the $$$ spent have been in System Upgrades and creature comoforts The boat is as sound as sound can be. Drill a hole and you better have a long bit. I have found no skimpy cheap or poorly put together areas of the boat and I have worked the boat over inch by inch. Some of our upgrades have been New Motor (16hp just did not do it for me) Custom Mattresses for the forward and aft bunks Radar TV Antenna Painted Mast New Roller Furler New Three bladed prop. New Main Sail Refrigeration New Bilge Pump New water Pump New Wash Down Pump Force Kerosene Heater Replaced Screens and Port Lenses and the list goes on and on But all replacements were not because of failure Now the neat feature of this boat is that most of the manufacturers of the parts are still in business. And replacement parts are easy to find if you look hard enough. You do not find that often in a 20+ year old boat Hope to be a contributor to the list and answer alot fo questions others may have Doug Caron

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Here's to you Mr Allmand

Doug,The quality and the sturdiness of the Allmand it what sold me . I felt the thickness of the fiberglass when I opened the cockpit seats and was amazed. . Now I now why Mr Allmand stopped building sailboats . They cost too much to build. The quality is astonishing I know they are still in business in Florida building custom power boats.I am looking for replacement lenses for the portholes. Where did you find yours? What year is she? Another thing that sold me was this boat had all the options Allmand offered at the time (1983). From the teak and holly floor to the central heat/air and refridgeration. You are right about the 16 hp not being enough. And I have a two bladed prop. I've been out twice and I am still learning how she handles. The diesel has 2400 hours on her .I begining to look for another but that is still way down on the to do list.I use the engine as little as possible. And being on a lake theres almost no reason to use it at all.Also I'm on the lookout for a good set of sails for her.I'm thinking about putting in new bow lights in the hull like the shark eyes. The one on the rail just doesn't get it for me. Haven't decided what to do about the stearn light either. Any sugestions? How did you do a wash down pump? I would like to do a outside shower. thanks for the letter of reinforcement. It's nice knowing that there are others that enjoy the same quality as yourself. I'm sure that Mr Allmand is very proud of his accomplishments

Status
Not open for further replies.