All winter to determine my approach to this bow repair

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
View attachment 118326 So after grinding sanding and prepping I'm wondering ...how thick I can go with each layer to fill this grand canyon ??? whether to use vinyl or epoxy resin ?? Gel coat or paint??? how far to go with filler mixed with fibers vs layers of cloth??? which fibers to use ??? which hardner to use ??? how to reshape the bow etc etc ... I have a tentative plan but figured I'd see what the sailing masses had to say .

So what say you ??? what would be your approach??
View attachment 118326 So after grinding sanding and prepping I'm wondering ...how thick I can go with each layer to fill this grand canyon ??? whether to use vinyl or epoxy resin ?? Gel coat or paint??? how far to go with filler mixed with fibers vs layers of cloth??? which fibers to use ??? which hardner to use ??? how to reshape the bow etc etc ... I have a tentative plan but figured I'd see what the sailing masses had to say .

So what say you ??? what would be your approach??
As a 49 owner, I share your pain.
My open and honest opinion is that this isn't a project to learn Fiberglas repair on.
If you are reaching out on this forum for advice on a project of this magnitude, then I believe your personal experience in Fiberglas repair is rather minimal.
Guys who repair this stuff for a living started off years ago fixing cracks. This is way bigger than that. It's not just cosmetic; its structural in a very vulnerable part of the boat.
And nothing depreciates a survey more than a major amateur (no offense intended) repair.
Please consider my respectful suggestion to work with the pro on the repair, and pick up some future knowledge. I can guarantee you that as you watch this guy, it will only confirm to you that this isn't a beginner's job

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I worked in a Corvette repair shop eons ago (when most fiberglass repairs in boats ands cars were made using resin thickened with raw asbestos fibers- microbaloon...wasn't invented yet I guess.. Ha). Fiberglass repair is professional tool intensive, plus you'll itch a lot.... You would need an air grinder, air file, DA, finishing blocks, multiple sizes and grits of grinding pads and papers, spray guns and respirator, primer, paint, solvents, resins and cloth to start. Oh, and a good, portable air compressor. Fairing and finishing takes skill. Blending the finish color will take some skill as well if the gel coat doesn't match out of the can and needs tinting. Are you allowed to spray outside and not in a booth or tent? You may have to blend back a few feet to do a nice job. You have a really nice boat. A pro can knock it out in a few days and make it look new.

On the other hand, I had the dealer fix an nickel-sized anchor ding on the bow and can't find the repair it's so good. Gel coat was colormatched and blended perfectly. But having been charged 5hours, I get why you want to tackle the job yourself.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I am currently in the process of getting estimates ... I will most likely use a professional ... mostly because it is in a critical spot where I do not want any risk of failure.... but I will use all the advise to do some minor repair work in the cockpit.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I saw a photo of a boat recently that had a stainless steel sheet metal wrapped around the bow. Came back about 4 inches on either side. not sure if the boat was designed that way, or if it was a repair, but it seemed like an idea that would prevent that kind of damage in the future. I think such an idea attached with 3M 5200 would be hard pressed to ever cause it to crack away or leak.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
AR
That repair is critical and also structural. Glad to hear you are getting estimates. How did it happen and do you have insurance to cover.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
As noted earlier in the string :

It happened in Lake Oneida along the Erie canal. Unfortunately I was not aboard. I had a captain bringing it back to Lake Erie from the East Coast (we had some great sailing around Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard the Massachusetts Cape, Cuttyhunk etc.). He ran into a significant amount of debris floating in the lake despite precautions they struck something while underway. He thinks a log but it seems like a lot of damage for a log to me.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I think it would be more than what he says to damage that bow damage but anything can happen as I too have struck submerged logs. I wonder if something else happened like going to fast for the conditions. Does he have liability insurance to file a claim? You stated "He ran into a significant amount of debris floating in the lake despite precautions they struck something while underway." Were you with him on that trip and was a contractural agreement signed?

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
my experience comes from helping our fiberglass guy in the body shop when the truck shop was slow, with that being said and needing to do myself, I would cover all but a small hole on the topside of each damaged area with cardboard then pour in an epoxy and allow to dry for a day or so. after a day or so peel off cardboard and take a dremel and grind out about 1/8" deep of all material and 1/4" into the good stuff, then cover with many layers of fiberglass and resin to build up above bow, sand with a course paper while getting lighter and lighter, finishing with 800-1000 grit as it comes back to even , paint. our repairs needed to keep shape not hold water!