All rope halyard vs. Rope-to-wire Halyard...Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyhop

Aug 8, 2005
Oday 28 Guntersville AL
I needed to replace my main halyard, and opted for a Sta-Set-X all rope halyard. With the mast down, I got a good look at the sheaves for the main & jib halyard. The "groove" around the sheave looks to be narrow as if intended for a wire to sit in. 1. Am I going to significantly shorten the life of an all-rope halyard running it in this narrow groove? 2. Has anybody done this with positive or negative results? 3. If yes to #1 and/or had negative results on #2, would it be easier (read less expensive) to replace the sheaves at the top o' the mast or to replace with a rope-to-wire halyard? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ck7991

Aug 8, 2005
- - MDR, CA
Replace the sheave

Hi - Replaced the wire halyard on my Mason 44 with rope. Can't remember what it was - 9000 maybe, you want something very very low stretch - wire doesn't stretch at all. Might check with one of the rope mfgrs or your local rigger. For whatever reason we did not replace the sheave. Eventually the halyard jumped the sheave. Net result the genoa could not be lowered. Sheave was destroyed, had to be removed and replaced So IMHO pay one piper or the other - for my part I prefer the rope

Status
Not open for further replies.