Alkaline batteries

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

We’re going through every battery operating item on the boat, flashlights, clocks, electrical tools, and are finding most battery contacts blue with corrosion. It hurts to throw away so many items just because the batteries leak. Anyone have a good way to prevent this other than no batteries until you have to use the item?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
DC and AC rechargeable batteries for flashlight, portable buffer, shop vac, handheld vhf radio, cordless vacuum cleaner, winchrite, cell phones and computers. The only battery-operated equipment is the stereo remote control, dvd player remote control, tv remote control and Mr Bean head motion detector night light............and their batteries last a really long time.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have been seeing this problem for a while now, especially with equipment around the house. I have replaced the house thermostat and a smoke alarm due to leaking batteries. Also a remote and a flashlight or two. Then the house thermostat at our daughter's house next door. When I looked for new batteries in our pantry, I found almost all of the batteries in a 30 pack were leaking. This was a 9 month old package that said it would last 10 years on the shelf. Mostly Duracell AA's.
I think it might be a Chinese plot to undermine civilization as we know it.:huh:
We did buy some RayOVac's, made in USA and guaranteed 100% leakproof, and are watching to see how they do.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Mostly Duracell AA's.
Grandpa stopped buying these “premium” batteries some time ago. No name brand lasts just as long.

If you think about the “quality” of steel these days and the fact that these little tubes are packed with corrosive material of questionable “PH value” are we surprised they don’t have a long shelf life? :)

How many of us would bother with the hassle of returning a pack of batteries?

I recently read an article about an electric car owner who couldn’t get a replacement battery. The dealership suggested he buy a new car!

Sorry for the rant :)

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
If you are referring to the battery contacts, I coat them with lanoline before using them, including the house battery lugs and car battery lugs. If you are referring to battery leakage, I have no answers.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
After a string of leaks in Duracells, I have been buying Rayovacs for the last three years. No leaks so far. All of Rayovacs alkaline batteries are made in a single plant in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, EverReady Energizer bought Rayovac a year ago. Hopefully they leave that Wisconsin plant alone.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I put a tiny bit of No-Ox-Id on all battery terminals - both flashlight and the house bank. This is an electrical grease that has been used in industry and by utility linemen for 50 years for outdoor electrical circuits. I bought this tube 10 years ago and still have 1/2 left. Read some of the Amazon comments. https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Tube-Special-Grease-Compound/dp/B00HSW341A/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OFW1HFT6RQA&dchild=1&keywords=no+ox+id+special+a&qid=1604110437&sprefix=no+ox+,aps,153&sr=8-1

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have also had good luck with Ray-O-Vac batteries and I've been using them for the last 5-8 years. As @Hunter216 said above, I use white vinegar and an acid brush with bristles cut short to scrub device terminals that have suffered a battery leak. I have not had good luck with private label batteries like HF and DieHard.

• Helpful
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have noticed myself that the AA Duracells leak a lot sooner than they used to.. I just had one mess up the contacts in a really nice Weems & Plath clock.. I will try the RayOVac ones..

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've moved away from Alkaline as completely as I can. I now use Eneloop NI-MH with a 4 battery charger. I counted up the number of AA & AAA batteries I use, added a couple of extra and I no longer buy and throw away batteries.
They don't last nearly as long as Alkalines do, but that's good because I can catch any corrosion sooner, and they don't leak, anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Duracell ruined a nice pair of image stabilized binocs. Softened up all the rubber on the rotating eyepieces

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
If your battery contacts aren't too corroded, you can clean them with a pencil eraser. Old trick I learned servicing streetcars.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
If your battery contacts aren't too corroded, you can clean them with a pencil eraser. Old trick I learned servicing streetcars.
if you can find them, the pencil style typewriter erasers work better because they are slightly abrasive. I would carve them into a flat shape to make them work even better.