ALICE'S RESTAURANT COMES TO MIND

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
After a few mishaps with the Diesel Fuel, crud and water in my boats fuel tank, I decided to go ahead and go major "overboard" with filtration of said challenges. When my setup was completely installed, I took this picture. Memories of every thanksgiving came back to me. Every year I would listen the Pierre Robert, play Alice's Restaurant. The part where Arlow Guthries sings about how as a draft recruit, he was taught to "KILL, KILL, KILL" came to mind as in overkill. I guess you have to have been there and secondly, have a sick sense of humor like mine!!!!!
(I know there are two 10 microns. I will switch them out to a two and a ten, when I've used them up)

IMG_3096.JPG

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
what about a parallel installation, that allows you to switch if one becomes clogged. In series if one goes, the system is down.

BTW LOVE the clean install, well done!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Looks great. I just wonder if the fuel pump sees two filters like sucking a milkshake thru a straw. It would be interesting to know if fuel pressure drops or you get any engine performance symptoms.
Keep us posted!

BTW. I usually hear Alice's Restaurant on the radio every Thanksgiving. Not this year. I wonder if there is some new group of critics complaining about it.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not sure your engine will suck through a 2 filter very well. I think those fuel hoses need some support. Not sure the coasties would consider that document number board as permanantly attached.

Aug 11, 2011
Ron, two good points. The Documentation Number board still needs to be caulk/adhesive seal in place. I feel its too cold at the present time to get a good adherence.
The Fuel Pump is a Mighty Mite, Electric, 7 psi, 32 gph free flow rate unit. I am not able to find the engine requirements as to how much pressure is required. Come spring time I'll start the engine and then see how it runs when under load. Should i end up with fuel starvation, this will be an easy fix. If this is indeed the case, maybe Apex's suggestion can be used. While I hibernate this winter, I will map out the shutoff and bypass lines, in preparation to use.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I listened to Alice's Restaurant on the way to my draft physical in 1968. My brother kept me up all night pouring cheap wine into me hoping that I would fail for coming mostly drunk. Was classified 1-A. One of the more weird things I encountered that day was a question if I was a member of any of a list of organizations. One was Veterans of the Russo-Japanese war ??????? If I was, I would have been in my eighties. Prime draft material ?????. Don't the SSS ever look at what they publish. I kept the list as proof of how stupid the government was/is. I guess that was a bit redundant as we get constant reminders of that fact every day. Was never drafted, just used the system against itself to delay until I got my job deferment.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 30 Stamford CT
twodzusfittings.....Nice job. Your not going to have a fuel flow problem with that setup. I have the original Groco bronze fuel filter that came from O'day and a Racor fuel filter similar to yours connected in series and I have no problem with fuel flow to the engine. I believe the Racor filters are rated to 30 GPH and the Universal 5416 uses about 1/3 GPH at 2,000 RPM.

Mar 28, 2011
Hunter 23.5 Lake Telico
"You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant"!

"Excepting Alice!"

Aug 11, 2011
Well as promised I'm circling back with an update to the dual filter system. It works very well. No fuel starvation. I changed out the first filter to a 30 micron and the second is a ten micron. All the fuel I removed from the tank was polished and stored into 19 fresh one gallon jugs over the winter. Ran it through a Mr Funnel portable fuel filter just to make sure it was nice and clean, back into the tank. Engine started up with no issues.