Alden Marinefax TR-VI

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
This boat came with an Alden Marinefax TR-VI, but no paper. I thought it might be good to get it going, but I've contacted Alden and they no longer supply the paper for the unit.
Does anyone by chance have a few rolls lying around that they don't want, or is this unit going to follow my Northstar LORAN (the best LORAN unit ever made for small craft!) into the garbage can?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is it strip chart paper or is it thermal? If it is strip chart, I have several roles of that from an old spectrometer. No longer have the spectrometer but still have the paper.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is it strip chart paper or is it thermal? If it is strip chart, I have several roles of that from an old spectrometer. No longer have the spectrometer but still have the paper.
oop.... never mind.... you want thermal.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks a lot. I had no idea thermal paper was available for other uses. So far a google search has not turned up any paper 11.5" wide, but I'll keep looking.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks a lot. I had no idea thermal paper was available for other uses. So far a google search has not turned up any paper 11.5" wide, but I'll keep looking.
Is this single sheet or a roll? If it is single sheet, take the 8.5" roll and cut the paper to 11.5"

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i loved my northstar 800 LORAN. both on aeolus and every ship i sailed on here on the great lakes in the 80's. it's on the self at the house. my B&G RDF is still on the boat as a conversation piece :)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
The B&G RDF was the only electronic navigation unit I had on my circumnavigation. I believe I acquired it in Oz and used it thereafter. A fine piece of equipment and probably the only item from that era I would consider a sensible backup should the GPS system fail.
If I was crossing oceans, I'd definitely pick up one if I could find one. We do have a Raytheon RayDF onboard, now.