Alden Challenger Kittiwake

PaulB

Apr 8, 2005
- - Greenwich
I have visited a "project" boat, Alden Challenger Kittiwake. She is in need of Fiberglass Hull Work, Engine work, although engine was rebuilt, has not been run. Interior carpentry work, all plumbing and electrical as well. Hull is sound, all interior parts are all available. Masts and Booms original and in good condition. Cabin roof needs to be replaced. Cockpit needs full rework. What I need is a "reasonable" offer estimate, and value at completion estimate. I have many pictures if anyone would like to offer their expert opinions. Thank You Paul

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Welcome Paul! I would be happy to give an opinion of what to offer; and what a Challenger might be worth, when you get finished. I think I've seen the listing but pics and or a listing would be needed(this site has a terrific photo loader). All the tasks you mention(not a really daunting list for a Challenger restoration), have been done by many of the owners(past and present) here on the website. The documentation here is very valuable.

These boats come with their own set of warts. For instance, I plan to build an entire new cockpit this winter for my boat. I'm not angry,...after 53 years the cockpit just gave up. That's not something 'glass' boats often require.

The bottom line: these boats are worth the 'little extra' they require.

Attachments

PaulB

Apr 8, 2005
- - Greenwich
Tom, current owner has all original parts as well, Cabin Parts(doors, drawers, floor), Wheel and steering, compass, rails, scuppers, cabin table, masts, boom etc. Missing is the toilet, and cabin sink. Engine as I said was rebuilt several years ago, never run and has sat. Thanks, Paul

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
This is not the project boat I may have seen. This is really bleak, Paul. Here's my opinion: First off, the boat has been neglected for so long, it has no value. In fact, unless someone takes it off the owners hands to restore it, it may be a liability if he(present owner) has to dispose of it(sad to think). Unlike neglected wooden boats that ultimately turn to compost, these hull and decks will be around for ions and won't just go away.

It is restorable but it's basically just a hull now. On the bright side, as the Challengers are solid glass-hull and deck, that makes restoration-no matter how involved- possible.

I think the cabin looks beyond clear wood restoration. The cabin may be sound enough to repair and ultimately paint, which is not a bad treatment at all(we've seen a few Challengers nicely finished that way).

As I am contemplating building my entire cockpit in a shop, and installing it as a single component, I don't see this rotted cockpit that daunting. But taken as a whole, this is an enormous project.

Going to your other question, what would it be worth if fully restored? I'm afraid, like many boats today, a restored Challenger isn't worth enough to cover the investment(not even close if you hire much of it out). That's not the designs fault, it's just the market is not great.

I wish I had more good news! :D I'm for restoring them at any state but I have to be honest. I'm hoping someone else will chime in. There's is a lot to talk about with the photos you posted. I think they show the achilles heel of the Challenger. If neglected(as this one has been-severely in fact), because of the unique wooden aspect of the Challenger design, they degrade very rapidly.

Have you looked at any other project Challengers or ?

PaulB

Apr 8, 2005
- - Greenwich
Tom, thanks so much for the feedback. Do you know of any other challangers for sale?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I'm not sure at this time. Maybe someone here knows if any are for sale at this moment.

I was just sent this photo of the Challenger that is for sale for salvage. David our host posted the listing. The image is huge but that's good in that high resolution reveals the state of disrepair.

Attachments