alcohol stove replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john licciardello

Looking for sage experience as to the best way to replace the original Gally Maid alcohol stove on my 1986 Catalina 30. Appreciate any comments on makes and models,and the best ways to install the tank. Do I need to have a custom locker built or is there one that I can simply buy that will fit the Catalina 30's dimensions? Installation tips would be very helpful. Thanks! John Licciardello

D

Dave Bristle

It Depends...

Is your objective to get the quality cooking of propane, or to eliminate the flare-ups and maintenance issues of the "curtain burner"? If the latter, I can recommend the Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove for safety and simplicity. No priming, no preheating, no flare-ups, no pump rebuilding, no LP tank placement issues, no danger of leaks and propane migrating to the bilge... Some find that cooking is a little slower, but it hasn't bothered us.

E

ED

CNG Cooking

You may want to consider compressed natural gas. As it is lighter than air, fumes in the bilge are not a problem. It came on my boat, and I have been very impressed the way it lights and cooks. About 25 hours of cooking per tank. Fill up cost less than $2. I have attached a link to the manufacturer.

B

Brad

Photo Page

Have a look on the photo page on this site. Check out "Improvements and upgrades. You will see that I have a Force 10 stove,oven that fits in the hole, no prob. You can see it gimbles in there just fine.... the boat is a 1979. Brad. :)

D

Doug

RV

Strip it out, put in propane. Magic Chef RV Stove. Search RV equipment and get a stainless steel RV Cooktop. About $90. I have photos of it in the photo Forum. See link I added. Built plywood box and caulked it shut with rubber seal on lid. Installed in aft locker and vented bottom over side.

Status
Not open for further replies.