Alcohol everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pops

Apr 11, 2004
- - Albemarle Sound
I just put a new stove on my boat. Pressure-less alcohol. It is a beauty. Today, while filling the cannister I had alcohol everywhere. One should not pour alcohol directly from a 1 gallon can. What do youse guys do? Thanks.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I used to pour it into a one-pint glass measuring cup I kept for just that purpose, although I found a dozen other uses for it too.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Is that an Origo? 3000? I kept the quart-size dish liquid bottles to keep the alchohol in. The squirt cap made for a small stream, or take the cap off for increase pouring.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I had cleaned a quart size oil bottle and transferred alcohol to it as needed with a funnel.

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth VA
Smaller container

Its a two step process for me. I use a funnel and fill a 1 qt plastic bottle about 3/4 full. I then use the funnel and the bottle to fill the canister. I then refill the bottle so it is always ready to go in standby. Trying to pour from the one gallon can is just impossible.

BTW, where do you purchase your alcohol? Locally, Ace Hardware seems to be the best source for good quality alcohol for our Origo 6000.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Smaller container

If you have an empty tin can you can pinch it at the rim to form a pouring spout. I will post pictures if called for.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
I keep my alcohol under the galley sink in a one gallon plastic red gas can. It has a good spout for pouring directly. I like to pour outside the boat, usually just hold the canister outside the companionway. Got the can and the alcohol at Lowes originally.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Trying to pour from the one gallon can is just impossible.
take the gallon can..... turn the pour spout up to its highest point and slowley lean it over on its side and you will find that it pours very well.......

regards

woody

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Please follow the Origo operating procedures attached. Please call me at 707-373-1191 if you have any questions. We have a 2 burner stove with oven and they work great.

Steve

Attachments

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Yup, there's a trick to it

After learning to pour the C2H5OH verrrry slowly for over a decade...
I recently ran into an Origo owner that showed me the "secret."
It's so simple that it had never occurred to me at all. The solution was just too darned easy!

So, you take a clean empty soup can. Bore a 1/4" hole through the center of the bottom.
Place that can, bottom down, on the mesh fill area on your Origo burner canister. Pour in a cup of fuel or however much you calculate you need. It slowly and effortlessly exits thru the drilled hole into the canister.
I used this for this summer's cruising and it works without drama or hassle (or spillage).
:)

BTW, you should remember how to check the canister for proper fullness to avoid overfilling.

Cheers,
LB

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
Oh no! I just realised i shipped Ed Shencks boat back to ohio and i kept his Alcohol can here. I brought it to my shop when i was cleaning up the boat and it did not make it back aboard! I sure ups wont ship that back to ohio so it will have to wait untill i go up or he comes down.
Dadgummit!

sorry ed.

Oct 6, 2007
Catalina 387 Panama City, FL
Buy one quart cans from Lowe's.
Easy to pour and they store under the H31 sink neatly.

Bill

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Use 151 rum. It burns good and you can drink the leftovers.;) Just kidding. Fair Winds...

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor 26X Beaver Lake NW Arkansans
I just put a new stove on my boat. Pressure-less alcohol. It is a beauty. Today, while filling the cannister I had alcohol everywhere. One should not pour alcohol directly from a 1 gallon can. What do youse guys do? Thanks.
I found a water bottle from Wal-Mart that holds about a half gallon. I has a push-pull nipple on it and it works very good. you can direct the flow just where you want it and keep the bottle closed when stored. it even has a side handle for easy gripping. Just be sure to label it.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
Here's a trick I learned many years ago. I had an Origo alcholol stove many years. Take a paper cup or flexible plastic disposable cup (Not hard plastic) and just cut a small hole in the edge. You have a quick and easy portable funnel that is perfect for pouring alcholol into the canister. Every boat should have some disposable cups. Of course it's much easier if you have a smaller container vs a gallon of moonshine but that's your call. Good luck and enjoy your cooking.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Why not just have a set of funnels?

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
I made a few assumptions. If spillage is going all over I assumed some sort of funnel wasn't used. A big plus is if you use the cup method you can sit it almost flat on top of the canister and fill. It should actually self stand if you need a second hand for a few seconds. That might help with handling a gallon jug. I also put the canister in the sink so if there was a spill it didn't turn into a real mess by running off The big Solo brand plastic cup has a wide bottom and worked great. There are many ways to fill a stove - this is one someone taught me long ago and thought it had enough merit to share. I used it for about a decade. My stove always had cups close in the cabinet but the funnels I could never find when I needed them.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Lift the stove lid so you can remove the canisters. You will see a small indention in the screen surface where it meets the canister. Tilt the canister until it is vertical with the indent at the 6 o'clock position and pour alcohol into it until the liquid level rises to the indent. About 3 cups. Reinstall the canisters and close the stove lid.

Attachments

Pops

Apr 11, 2004
- - Albemarle Sound
Thanks guys. You folks always know all of the ways to skin the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.