Albin Vega Rudder

Oct 30, 2019
Albin Vega TRSC
Hello All,

Nice to have a new home as Yahoo has kick us out!! Thanks to all those who have made this happen.

I have the rudder off my Vega at the moment and have some cracking. What do the panel think? I'm certain that it has been like this for a while. I'm planning to do the Plymouth Azores Jester challenge next year. Do you think I need to make a new rudder or repair?? I value your thoughts / comments.

All the best

Graeme
Panacea

20191112_124203.jpg
20191112_124324.jpg
20191112_124335.jpg

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
I had a similar problem, but much more drastic, on my Vega rudder. I elected to rebuild the entire rudder using the old stock but with two more tangs welded on. As I recall there were only two on the original rudder. No more problems in 10+ years of use.

The new rudder was shaped from marine ply in two half’s, epoxied together and then sheathed in fiberglass.

Oct 30, 2019
Albin Vega TRSC
I had a similar problem, but much more drastic, on my Vega rudder. I elected to rebuild the entire rudder using the old stock but with two more tangs welded on. As I recall there were only two on the original rudder. No more problems in 10+ years of use.

The new rudder was shaped from marine ply in two half’s, epoxied together and then sheathed in fiberglass.
Thanks for our reply Pagan Baby,

I have taken the decision to rebuild the rudder and have already dismantled it. I am waiting on materials to arrive in order to start the rebuild. I will be using the same method as you have outlined. Hope my repair lasts too.

Regards Graeme