Albemarle Sound vs Pamlico Sound

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
New boat owner here (Catalina 22).

We are looking at several slips in Eastern North Carolina specifically Mackey's in the Albemarle Sound, or Oriental because of the relative distances to our home in Greenville.

I guess this is just a general question about the best day trips / overnight trips (maybe to the Outer Banks) to make our decision as to where to keep it

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
New boat owner here (Catalina 22).

We are looking at several slips in Eastern North Carolina specifically Mackey's in the Albemarle Sound, or Oriental because of the relative distances to our home in Greenville.

I guess this is just a general question about the best day trips / overnight trips (maybe to the Outer Banks) to make our decision as to where to keep it

Thanks!
I've done this a bunch.... I don't have time for a long post now but I'll come back and add detail.

Oriental is GREAT! and the south river is a nice anchorage .... Swanquarter to Ocracoke is also an easy day trip.

Elizabeth City to Columbus or Aligator Creek or Roanoke is also a nice day trip.

The Albemarle runs East-West and the prevailing is usually out of the west.... so.. the fetch is long and the chop can really build.

More later

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
You can't go wrong with any of these. Oriental is our favorite. If you don't mind motoring a bit - head to Beaufort. Explore the Shakleford Banks and the wild ponies. Watch the weather in the Pamilco, and especially the Ablemarle. They are shallow and can really build up

Jan 4, 2020
Hunter HC 30 Washington, NC
Lots of good choices... The Albermarle is closed to shell fishing... one reason it was off our list. We like to dig clams from the dinghy. There is also a rather large prohibited area in the Albermarle, Harvey Point. Military testing / bombing range out there. But the "Albermarle Loop" is interesting. A collection of marinas that offer free amenities to people making the loop. Worth checking out.

The Pamlico river has some good sailing too. McCotters in Washington is a full service Marina. There is also a place called "Potters" in bath that has nice slips and restrooms / showers. There is also a public dock in Bath Harbor owned by the NC State Cultural Resources folks. You can stay there for a couple nights and walk the town of Bath. Cool museum, historic houses and lots of Black Beard history. Washington, NC has outstanding public docks and waterfront with showers and restrooms as well. They are a bit far up the river though.

Oriental is nice. You can't get under the bridge if you are over 43' so that can limit access to some of the more protected dockage. The Oriental Yacht Club is currently offering slips though, in the main harbor. Very, very cool place with large covered dock / pier area over the harbor with pic nic tables and rocking chairs. Nice work space for small repairs and storage of sails / dinghies, etc. and a nice kitchen / bath / lounge, all set up in a facility that just oozes Oriental history. And quite affordable. Beaufort access is pretty easy for a week end trip. And the Piggly Wiggly will deliver your groceries to your dock.

I will post up a video in this forum shortly of a trip from Washington to Morehead City. If you browse the youtube channel from there you can find some other videos from sailing the Carolina Coast this spring.

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
This is great @portajon ! Cheers!

We have decided (at least for the first season) to have her in a slip at McCotters Marina. We will do some fit up there and explore the Pamlico River spots, so thank you for those recommendations! We are in Greenville so it's a lot more convenient while we get our sea legs under us.

Look forward to seeing your videos :beer: