AIS-VHF Antenna Splitter

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
The best technical answer that can be given is with knowledge of the actual receiver model number and powered receiver model that is being used.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If yes, I can handle it with switching to AIS silent mode when I need to transmit on the radio(very rare). After all, with a receive only AIS there is never an issue of the VHF damaging the AIS.
that assumption is incorrect.
There are two ways in which splitters fail. The first and obvious being failure to switch inputs. The other being failure or reduction in isolation of the inactive port. Either failure could destroy either the radio or AIS or both. Th VHF could destroy your AIS in either scenario.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Or is there a technical issue than I'm overlooking? Strictly technical answer please. Thanks.
YES... It is a human interface challenge.

You can turn off the VHF or turn off the AIS and only use the single antenna with one unit at a time.
This is "technically" isolating the system input of the individual radios. This does not account for over-bleed or isolation filters of the individual radios. You may still find that the feedback in the shared antenna leads, damages one or both of the units. A detailed inspection of the unit wiring diagrams would be needed to provide a positive response.

Now to the real world. You are cruising along using the AIS on the antenna. Suddenly you have a heart emergency. Recognizing the danger your crew rushes to the radio to hail the Coast Guard. "MAY...." some one forgot to switch off the AIS before attempting to call out the Mayday... Now one or both of the systems are fried and you are in a world of hurt.

As a former radioman, use a powered splitter or use separate antennae.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No. It works both ways either one can damage the other. Switching to silent mode only turns off the transmit function it does not disconnect the unit from the antenna.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
do the VHF with AIS (receive or Tx) require a separate antenna. For the PO, a separate antenna mounted as high as feasible seems prudent. What about someone building a new system that still requires an updated VHF???