AIS / MMSI number

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all,
So a new owner of a Garmin 800 AIS and now have to get an ais number. Two options for registering.... boat us if I plan on staying in us waters or fcc If I ever plan to venture to the Bahamas. Will be researching further but the fcc appears that I also need a license? What if I go the simple route now and register as only a us boat, can I upgrade easily later on if I choose to cross to Bahamas??

Also on product programFor ais they say enter ship name, call sign, etc...... what is a call sign?

thanks
Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You can always deactivate your free BoatUS MMSI number at a later date. However, for AIS and maybe the VHF to change the MMSI number it will be necessary to return the units to the manufacturers or service centers to change the MMSI number, if it can be changed.

To get an FCC issued number you will need a Ship's Station License which will provide a radio call sign, this will be a series of letters followed by numbers, like Ham radio call signs. Mine is WDI4626. The ship's station license will also provide an MMSI number.
The Ship's Station License will allow a licensed operator to operate the radio while in foreign waters. While technically required to operate the VHF in Canada, in 35 years of sailing to Canada, I've never been asked for the license. To operate the radio, someone on board must have a Restricted Radio Operators license from the FCC. The ship's station license is good for 10 years, the RRO license is good for the lifetime of the licensee.

All of this is governed by international treaties for use of the air waves.

There are fees associated with getting the licenses. It can be done online and the licenses will be issued almost immediately as a PDF which should be printed and placed on board. Be forewarned, at a few years ago when I got my licenses, the website was kind of clunky and not real user friendly.