Airmail 2000

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hey anyone out there good with Airmail 2000?

I've been trying to help a friend solve a problem with his Airmail 2000 long distance. He was in Malaysia doing a circumnavigation when his computer crashed. After getting a new computer with Windows 7, he installed the latest version of Airmail 2000.

For some reason, he is having trouble with the Telnet function and can't get it working. We've checked the public access wifi, the CMS settings and the firewall settings, but the Telnet just won't connect. I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If I remember correctly, Telnet is not supported by windows as a basic function. I think you have to go into Programs and Features, then to Turn Windows Features On or Off. In there you will find Telnet. Make sure it is turned on.

Mar 12, 2008
If I remember correctly, Telnet is not supported by windows as a basic function. I think you have to go into Programs and Features, then to Turn Windows Features On or Off. In there you will find Telnet. Make sure it is turned on.
Strange, as I didn't have to do this. I checked on my settings and the Telnet Client and Server are both not checked, yet the Telnet feature of Airmail 2000 works fine.

Feb 17, 2006
Hmmm... possibly them it would be connected to blocked ports. Not sure how to handle that. Well, at least I can't remember...

Here are the associated ports:

Port 23 is for Telnet
Port 25 is for SMTP (simple mail transfer protocol)
Port 107 for Remote Telnet
Port 992 for Telnet TLS/SSL

Is there anything in the User Manual about turning on or turning off ports?

Mar 12, 2008
The Telnet function on Airmail uses port 8772. The only thing I can think of is something is blocking this port from operating. Unfortunately, I don't have the laptop here or I could most likely get it running. I'm guessing there might be a firewall setting blocking the outgoing handshake, but I can't tell.

Feb 17, 2006
OK... well good luck. I am sure you will figure it out.

Feb 17, 2006
If and when you find the solution, be sure to post it here for archive. This way it will be part of the search function so others may it.

Mar 12, 2008
We are still working on the problem. I talked to one of the developers of the program, and his comments were the same as mine. Only two things can go wrong on this part of Airmail. Either you have a Telnet setting wrong, or you have something like a firewall or anti virus program blocking port 8772. Doesn't help when the computer is 5000 or 6000 miles away and the person isn't the best with computers! But we are still working on it.