Air filter replacement

Apr 3, 2017
Catalina 30 West Vancouver
Hello all. I have the Universal M25 XPB and when I looked at the air filter, it seems to have a mesh (stainless or aluminum) element that have little bits that break off really easily. This certainly couldn't be too good for the engine. There is a screen to stop the big bits but I started thinking. (Never a good idea!). Why not put on a proper automotive filter on. I looked on the K and N site and they have ones that I think would work. RU-0360 and RU-0370 and RU-2450. They all have 1.75" flange. I need to measure at the boat but I think that is the flange size.

Can anyone tell me if they have done this and whether or not it is a good idea?

Thanks!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Look at Main Sail's webpage Marinehowto.com he shows installing a k&n on a M25 (no x p or b).

Les

cjm1

Jul 10, 2013
custom Herreshoff 33 sloop Lake Charlevoix
Hello all. I have the Universal M25 XPB and when I looked at the air filter, it seems to have a mesh (stainless or aluminum) element that have little bits that break off really easily. This certainly couldn't be too good for the engine. There is a screen to stop the big bits but I started thinking. (Never a good idea!). Why not put on a proper automotive filter on. I looked on the K and N site and they have ones that I think would work. RU-0360 and RU-0370 and RU-2450. They all have 1.75" flange. I need to measure at the boat but I think that is the flange size.

Can anyone tell me if they have done this and whether or not it is a good idea?

Thanks!
I have the Universal 5432 and use a filter unit used in the agriculture business. If you have the room this is large and through. I use a hose between the bulkhead mounted unit and the engine.

Apr 3, 2017
Catalina 30 West Vancouver
Thanks all. I chose the K and N RU0370 off Amazon.ca. It arrived today. I will install it asap.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thanks all. I chose the K and N RU0370 off Amazon.ca. It arrived today. I will install it asap.
I've been installing the RU0370 for many years and they work extremely well. I've also done a few other models but the RU0370 is a great fit.. The M-25's are pretty notorious for belt dust, due to the 3/8" belt, so a good filter is a must.....

Nov 12, 2023
Catalina 28 MkII Vancouver
I found a great alternative for the Foam Element on the original air filter. Shop-Vac Micro Foam Sleeve PN 90525 is the perfect fit (same diameter as the original Universal air filter). Cost was $11 CND on Amazon.ca.

Attachments