Air Cooled vs Water Cooled 3.5 HP Outboards

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
My long time friend and workhorse Mercrury 3.5 HP Outboard has seen its end. The water cooling in a shallow area just sucks up too much debris and sediment.
So I would like to know what your experience is with any Air Cooled small outboard.
My engine doesn’t run long enough to flush the system after we’re done for the day and that takes it toll on an engine.
Thank you for the input.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Most of the air cooled small outboards have a water pump and water cooled exhaust.. It is probably better than having all the small engine passages to clog and corrode, but it doesn't stop all the mess.. We've used air cooled ones in bayous and ponds with no problem, but that is all fresh water. The small Hondas are fine, I have a couple of buddies that have them .. one on a lake canoe and the other on the Chesapeake on a dink..

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2008
Kloudie, I agree. The underwater intake and lack of run time is my big concern. Didn’t have this issue for years, but as the silt and sediment has risen for the same number of years, it has now become a real thing. Exhausting the water shouldn’t be a problem.
The only Air Cooled Outboard I can find is the Honda 2.3hp. It’s a horsepower less than my Mercury, but I’m not water skiing behind it.
Thank you for the help.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Consider going electric. 3hp equivalent models available from several manufacturers. Has a reverse, no pulling your shoulder out starting, no noise, no filling that integral tank in waves of any kind.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 Sweet P
Epropulsion Spirit+ outboard auxiliary

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I have a Honda 2.3, air cooled. It's a nice little engine, louder than a water cooled but I don't have to worry about it salting up. My last engine, Nissan 3.5, clogged up to the point it couldn't be cleaned.

Sep 26, 2008
dmax, I bought the Honda 2.3 today. Just hung it up on my rack in the garage. I’m looking forward to getting to use it, next week or so.
I was keeping up on my Mercury 3.5 each year, cleaning and flushing it out. But this year the salt and silt I cleaned out was just to much for it. I tore down the pump housing so many times, new gaskets, bushings, plates etc. It just got to the point that, at least at my dinghy dock, a water cooled style engine wasn’t going to be the smartest choice I could make.
Thank you all for your input and guidance. Greatly appreciated.