Air Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2004
- - Dallas-Ft Worth
Does anyone know the square feet and/or cubic feet area of the Catalina 30 cabin or have a website with that info? I am trying to determine if I need a 12,000 or 16,000 BTU water cooled marine AC. I live in North Texas where it is 100 degrees almost every day in July and August. Or does anyone that lives in the San Juan Islands want to trade boats and houses? Just kidding...maybe.

A

agolden

AC

simple answer..,if it gets to 100 degrees, go with the 16,000 btu unit.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
AC

I'm in OK, and have a 16,500 in my C320. Works great at night, don't use it during the day. You might try the C30 forum, see what others with a similar boat use: http://www.catalina30.com/

M

Merrythought

Go For the Bigger Unit

Just took delivery of a new C320 about 3 weeks ago and had AC installed. The original 12,000 BTU unit was replaced last week with a 16,000 BTU unit as the smaller unit could not keep the boat cool during the day. My boat is in Maryland where the land and water temps are not as high as in your area.

R

Ron

Bigger IS better (specially in Texas)

I don't think you can expect either 12Kbtu or 16Kbtu to keep a C30 really cool during mid day summer temperatures in Texas. I had a C30 on the Mississippi Gulf Coast with a 14Kbtu AC. It definitely helped during the day, was very comfortable once the sun had set a bit, and would freeze your butt off in the evenings. There's just no insulation in a sailboat so during the day it's like cooling your house with the windows and doors open. I now have a C36 with a 16.5 Kbtu AC. The temperature coming out of the AC vents runs between 50 and 55 degrees, but it still won't get the boat cooler than 84/85 degrees during the hottest part of the day. It does lower the humidity though, and compared to the heat index of 105 outside it feels wonderful. Go for the 16K (it's only about $150 more than the 12K) and put in as many air vents as you can find space for.

B

Bob

Tried AC Last Week

We decided to buy a portable 9,000 btu (Haier) AC unit advertised at Target for less than $400 last week. It was great after the sun went down for our '88 Catalina 30, but around 10-11 the next morning, the interior was heating up much faster then the AC unit could cool it off. Was it because it was already in the mid-80's by then? Without a cover over the boat to shade it down or sending a constant stream of water over the deck, nothing could properly cool off those interiors in very hot days. We settle for the AC to work fine at night for the main cabin area, but move up to the cockpit when the sun starts moving up. It would alot of btu's on a hot summers day and super insulation to stay below. Bob

A

agolden

AC

Another help is to get a boom tent made using a white color tarp. This helps to keep the suns rays directly off the coachtop and allows air to circulate under it which in turn keeps the coachtop cooler. The results is that there is less heat buildup on the coachtop, lower temp inside which in turn takes strain off the AC unit below. We have one an believe me it makes a noticable difference.

M

Mike

AC

Sunshade over boom is great, but have it made from canvas or sunbrella to block out UV rays.

B

Bruce

AC Electric Requirements

Just now looking into AC for a mid-'80's C30. What are the electrical requirements to install a 16,000BTU unit?

W

wayne williams

What brand a/c did you install?

what brand a/c did you install in your catalina?

Status
Not open for further replies.