Air Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BBaker

I would like to install A/C with reverse cycle on my Catalina 42. Has anyone done this? Can you reccomend an a/c reverse cycle manufacturer and BTU's needed to cool the cabin? I have the three cabin model and would appreciate any feedback.

R

Russ

AC?

I would suggest checking out a Mermaid Marine Air unit - I've owned two of their units on two different boats for over 5 years and they've both performed well. My current unit is a 16,500 btu reverse cycle on my 1984 C36 - it's barely enough cooling to keep the cabin very comfortable during the daytime in summer months, but will easily freeze you out during the evening/night. Does a great job of heating down here on the Gulf Coast south of Houston. I would consider two units... probably a 16,500 btu forward and a 12,000 btu unit in the aft portion or you could opt for one of the other manufacturers "split" units... there's one large compressor remotely mounted with fan/evaporator units of the desired capacity mounted in the cabin area - this also allows the "noisy" compressor to be remotely located. Then you have to plan the ducting, raw water cooling and get adequate AC power to the unit(s). Hope this gives you some ideas of your options... Russ S/V Four Sail C36, #206 Kemah, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.