Air Conditioning Install on C30

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I thought I’d share some photos and details of my recent install of a 10K BTU Air Conditioner on my C30.

For two years I’ve been using a 6K BTU window unit mounted on a shelf on the deck and blowing into the forward hatch through ductwork made of plastic downspout pieces. That worked well except for the hottest days but taking it down through the hatch for sailing and putting it back up for the night was getting old.

I chose a Webasto CFC Platinum 10,000 BTU unit due to it’s compact size of 15” D x 16” W x 12” H. I pieced together the raw water supply and air vent parts based on Webasto’s Raw Water and Air Vent kits. My total spend was about $2,400.

I installed the raw water supply thru hull, strainer and pump just forward of the head near the existing head sink drain thru hull and speed transducer. I installed these items before spring launch. I installed the rest of the system with the boat on the water.
I chose the hanging locker for the A/C location as I could fit all the parts in that space and put the air supply in the bulkhead blowing directly into the cabin. It made for a compact and simple install.
For condensate removal I used the Marvair CR330 Condensation Removal Kit. It was easy to install and is working well.
The whole install took about 36 hours total.

The unit has no trouble holding the cabin at 72 degrees while the outside temp is in the mid 90s.
I still have to clamp down some hoses/cables and reinstall the louvered door of the closet but here are some photos.
AC 01.jpeg

AC 02.jpeg

AC 03.jpeg

AC 03a.jpeg

AC 04.jpeg

AC 05.jpeg

AC 06.jpeg

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I thought I’d share some photos and details of my recent install of a 10K BTU Air Conditioner on my C30.

For two years I’ve been using a 6K BTU window unit mounted on a shelf on the deck and blowing into the forward hatch through ductwork made of plastic downspout pieces. That worked well except for the hottest days but taking it down through the hatch for sailing and putting it back up for the night was getting old.

I chose a Webasto CFC Platinum 10,000 BTU unit due to it’s compact size of 15” D x 16” W x 12” H. I pieced together the raw water supply and air vent parts based on Webasto’s Raw Water and Air Vent kits. My total spend was about $2,400.

I installed the raw water supply thru hull, strainer and pump just forward of the head near the existing head sink drain thru hull and speed transducer. I installed these items before spring launch. I installed the rest of the system with the boat on the water.
I chose the hanging locker for the A/C location as I could fit all the parts in that space and put the air supply in the bulkhead blowing directly into the cabin. It made for a compact and simple install.
For condensate removal I used the Marvair CR330 Condensation Removal Kit. It was easy to install and is working well.
The whole install took about 36 hours total.

The unit has no trouble holding the cabin at 72 degrees while the outside temp is in the mid 90s.
I still have to clamp down some hoses/cables and reinstall the louvered door of the closet but here are some photos.
View attachment 195959

View attachment 195960

View attachment 195961

View attachment 195962

View attachment 195963

View attachment 195964

View attachment 195965
We would never go to that extent in the Pacific Northwest, but that looks excellent!!! Nice job, nice install!!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Real nice install Ward.
Maybe you can come out and help Les and I put the 10 windows back in my boat.