Air conditioner location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2007
Catalina 310 Middle River, MD
I am thinking of adding air conditioning to my Catalina 310. I would be interested in any experience based tips and suggestions from this site. One immediate question is on my mind: Where to locate the main unit (choices appear to be in the cockpit lazarette locker and under the V-berth forward of the water tank). I have read the tech note from November 2002 on this subject (which recommends the cockpit locker location).
Coral Islander, C-310 #199

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
My Cruise Air condenser and evaporator units are both located in the port locker set forward. This allows for easy return venting from the aft cabin via a custom made plenum.
There are two source vents, one in the main cabin next to the small cabinet where the controls are mounted, and one in the forward birth, both on the port side. The 4" source duct work will effectively eliminate the two mirror compartments in the head.
The condensate was plumed into the engine compartment to mix with any oil... boo!!, so I now have it running into a small container where the shaft packing seal is, which I have to empty only when in use.
The fresh water for the condenser is thru hulled just aft of the head valves. The installers chose a bronze 1/2" valve, would not have been my choice. The pump is located in the same area, mounted to the hull, instead of the side of the hull stiffener where it should be.
Don't forget to winterize the fresh water pump or the housing will crack. I take the screws out of the impeller housing, crack the seal and let drain.
On the outside of the hull over the fresh water intake is a screen housed in a stand-off to provide a greater intake surface area.
The next time I'm up I will take some pics.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
One addition consideration is: our boats seem to want to list to port, adding the unit in the port locker (which is the only sensible place), will only increase this list. The net result is that it will be more difficult to clean the water line on the port side.

goblin

Sep 4, 2006
Catalina 310 Pottsboro Tx
As a former Middle River guy (late 1960's, Ericson 29 slipped at Daly's Bar on Sue Creek) & Towsonite, you gotta believe my A/C solution probably isn't for you, but it works for me and was almost free.
We often have more guests than beds at the house so I opt for a night on
the boat. Texas summer nights can be a bitch so A/C is mansatory. I looked into all the marine units but just couldn't bite that bullet.
I picked up a 5000 btu window unit at Lowe's on sale for $59., took it to the boat, took out the access door in the aft cabin bulkhead and replaced it with a panel cutout for the unit. I installed a 110V. outlet on the bulkhead adjacent to the unit and wired it into the main shorepower breaker.
The unit does a great job in 100+ weather, but only in the back bunk. I'm sure a larger unit could do the whole boat with some added ducting to the opening above the engine box, but my needs are handled and for less than $100. and 2 hours work.
Happy Thenksgiving,
Ancient Mariner, C-310 #18, Lake Texoma, Texas

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I picked up a 5000 btu window unit at Lowe's on sale for $59., took it to the boat, took out the access door in the aft cabin bulkhead and replaced it with a panel cutout for the unit. I installed a 110V. outlet on the bulkhead adjacent to the unit and wired it into the main shorepower breaker.
Ancient Mariner - Great idea. The added benefit is you get additional air circulating in that aft area. Do you do anything special to exhaust that hot air?

goblin

Sep 4, 2006
Catalina 310 Pottsboro Tx
rpwilla - I just prop open both lazarette locker lids about 4"with their cables hooked over the horizontal stern rail. Rain stays out & plenty of conderser air is supplied. Condensate just drips into the bilge.
AM

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Nice

really great idea. I have one of those Cruiser Carry-Ons that fits into the forward hatch. That tends to turn the boat into an ice box, but it is a pain to carry on and off and store on the boat.

Jul 25, 2007
Catalina 310 Middle River, MD
Thanks to all.

I really like Ancient Mariner's solution. A couple of questions, though: How did you mount the plywood board (did you just use the original door hinges and latch, or did you mount it more securely for example using through bolts)? Once mounted is it secure enough to leave in place while sailing (i.e., leave it in place essentially for the whole season)?

Also, I'm surprised that nobody seems to favor the spot under the V-berth in front of the water tank for a more conventional A/C system. Seems like a good location since it is down low and on centerline. There seems to be room to the side of the water tank for ducts and air returns, so the only downside I can see is that the run for heat exchanger water will be kind of long. Anybody have an opinion on this location?

HWeller

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I did something similar to Ancient Mariner on my old boat, a '76 31' Pelle Petterson. I put a handle on a 5000 btu window unit and put it in the companionway hatch with a wood block in the cockpit to support it. I fashioned a folding plywood hatchboad to fit around it. When not in use I lifted it out and stored it in the aft cabin. Worked fine and we get some hot, muggy days on the Chesapeake as many of you know. The new owner spent a lot of nights on the boat this past summer and says it made life aboard more comfiortable than he ever anticipated.

May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
Mine is under v berth. Flagship Marine. Great unit, keeps it nice and cool down below in the Texas heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.