Air conditioner drip solution

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I have a dry bilge except when running the air conditioner. The drip tube in the bilge runs perpendicular to the water return hose which exits out the transom . The water return hose is 5/8" and the drip hose is 1/4". I was thinking about putting a T on the return hose and connecting the drip hose. My thought is that the return water would act as a vacuum and pull the condensation out of the boat and keep the bilge dry. Is there a problem with this approach which I am not recognizing? Thanks

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
If I understand you correctly you are considering putting the T on the discharge side of the pump. If this is true, Without a syphon / educator type device I don’t believe you will get suction and instead get pressure that will shoot water up through the drip hose and flood your boat.

Here is a link to a product Defender offers that will do what you are thinking of.
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276179|2061076|2061077|2061085&id=2756613

A caution though. I was looking at this device until I read that they do not recommend using it in situations where you have two air conditioning units using a single recirculating pump system. Which is exactly what I have. Apparently with two units the there is a flow rate decrease which could impact the compressor units.

If what you are saying is that you are considering putting the T on the suction side of the pump, don’t do it. You will suck air and lose prime in the pump. You will damage the system.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Just thinking.........If the bilge is deep enough could you install one of the shower sump boxes to catch the condensed water and then have the bilge pump in the shower unit rid your boat of the offending liquid? Still need to think of where to have the water exit.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A caution though. I was looking at this device until I read that they do not recommend using it in situations where you have two air conditioning units using a single recirculating pump system. Which is exactly what I have. Apparently with two units the there is a flow rate decrease which could impact the compressor units.
Not a problem, been using TWO extractors on my two-A/C install with a single circulation pump for 13 years. The flow is somewhat reduced but it does not affect the operation of the A/C units. In fact I mostly cool my boat with a single 12k BTU unit placed mid-ship. Same with spring/fall operation where the system becomes a reverse heating system. Shouldn’t be a problem at all with your cold northern lake water.

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
I've been thinking of doing a sump for mine, but the elegance of the venturi system is just so nice without even any moving parts.

I would be wary of using a garden venturi as think about the consequences of it failing and splitting...you are now pumping water into the boat.

Dave in Tampa

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Thanks for the input. I suspected mu solution was too good to be true. Will have to start a go fund me campaign to buy the kit.
:biggrin::biggrin:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Mermaid AC , I believe, made such an induction device. However it's not so simple.

https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/accessories/mermaid-condensator/
I wouldn’t use a garden variety Venturi either; they aren’t suitable for marine use. If it breaks, your boat will sink at worst or suffer severe flooding damage at best. For example, on the Amazon device, there isn’t sufficient space for two hose clamps on the threaded ends. There should be robust hose barbs to engage and retain the hose and sufficient space for two hose clamps. Better to buy components that are designed for use on a boat.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
I have two A/C units, each with its own discharge, and one pump for both. Been using the Mermaid Condensator on both systems for 11 years. No problems. Just clean the filter/screens now and then during the season. Once every few years I also disassemble the venturi and clean that too.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
AC condensate is "rain water". It is essentially "demineralized" or soft water.

Parts of Kansas are not very humid, so condensate flow is low.

Why not collect the condensate in small plastic container like this?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-...97f-a8a7-9f66dc87aea6&adpgm=wpa&pltfm=desktop

Just an example to think "outside the box/bilge".
You, of course, could get different containers sizes and shapes.;)

Use "hand power" to lift and pour into your galley sink, wash the deck, cool showers, dish washing, etc.

This would minimize water in the bilge.
Jim...

PS: I have never understood the passion for a bone dry bilge.:confused:
PSS: My bilge with AC condensate, it always clear , clean and no smells.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The A/C drip line was designed to run that way by the boat designers. It is a proper use of the bilge and I fail to see what the problem is. It has been that way since the inception of A/C in boats and if there would have been major complaints they would have changed it by now. Clear, condensate distilled water hardly creates any smell.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The Mermaid Condensator seems to have priced itself out of the market, but Defender is selling Dometic branded condensator system from Marvair. Might be worth contacting Mermaid and see if they have come back to earth on their product pricing.

Marvair - Same concept and includes the proper parts including a condensate filter, backflow preventer and the right number of hose clamps. When you do your install place the filter and the Venturi device in locations where they can be accessed and maintained.
https://www.defender.com/pdf/901639.pdf

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We ordered our 12,000 btu Mermaid unit with their 'condensator'....7 years later it is still working flawlessly...I'm not sure what I paid, but Mermaid recommended it....it effectively removes the standing water in the drip pan after the unit may have been running all night...in order to remove the condensate in the drip pan after a long evening, I just turn the unit on for a few minutes and the condensate water is gone....the above scenario occurs when I've gotten up in the middle of the night and turned the unit off or something.....the water being sucked out will run back into the drip pan and can spill out when the boat heals...this does not happen if I turn the unit on for a couple minutes before leaving the slip...many cities in relatively flat locations use this type of system to remove water from drains that are below the city drainage system flow lines....walk-out lower levels, etc. that are below the city storm system flow line use a venturi effect construction to eliminate flooding in people's back yards...more than you wanted to know....but it works! Contact Wright Marine....a Mermaid dealer... Patrick

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I guess it also depends on your geographical area, those "condensators" do not work that well in the Gulf Coast of Florida during the summer.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I guess it also depends on your geographical area, those "condensators" do not work that well in the Gulf Coast of Florida during the summer.
Yeah, especially if you don’t have one installed! :)

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I don't know why. Apparently neither does my Venturi drain. At least not over the past 8 years.