AGM Conversion

Jun 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Mk 1, #3335 Midland, Ontario
Without getting too technical for this feeble brain, I am planning to switch my flooded house batteries to a pair of series 31 AGM's and want to know if:
1) I will have an issue charging them with my older model Guest charger?
2) Should I wish to charge my house bank by alternator while on motor and I switch my battery controller from A (engine) to B (house) am I likely to experience a situation?
My solar panel controller has a GEL/AGM option so that won't be an issue.
As always, Thanks all.

RonM

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 445 Hampton, VA
There's a few things you should consider. First, changing from wet cell to AGM's is not a significant issue since both have some (but not all) "wet" characteristics. To answer your question, this is not a major problem. However, it does require some caveats!

1) Do you understand what settings exist or can be changed with your "older model Guest charger"? Determine what charging voltage and levels of charge it can provide.
2) With an answer to #1, determine the charging requirements for your new AGM battery as outlined by the AGM battery manufacturer. If your charge controller (Quest) provides the voltage and charge levels (bulk, absorption, float for example) required by the battery specifications, you'll be fine.
3) I'm not sure what you mean in reference to "battery controller". Do you mean, your battery master switch? I'm going to assume this is what you're talking about. Most battery master switches include a "connect" before "disconnect" function. If your battery switch isn't too ancient, you'll be fine with changing from "house" to "engine". Some of these switches have a "both" function. If yours is this kind, keep it on "both" as the engine alternator will then charge both batteries while operating your diesel engine.
4) Yes, change your solar charge controller to an AGM setting once the new battery is installed.
Hope this helps.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I guess the question I have is what do you expect to gain by switching from flooded to AGM..?

Also be aware that not all AGM batteries are created equal and there are huge quality differences in how they handle deep cycling (see May 2015 issue of Practical Sailor). Lifeline, Odyssey, Northstar and Firefly are the only AGM batteries worth spending premium money on, at this point in time.

For AGM batteries it is more than picking an AGM setting, you need to match manufacturer guidelines for both float and absorption voltages and you will need temperature compensated charge equipment. There is no such thing as an "AGM setting" that works for all AGM batteries.....

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Norm: Good to hear something from you! I am with Maine Sail on this, wondering why you would change from wet cells. Chief

Jun 21, 2009
Norm: Good to hear something from you! I am with Maine Sail on this, wondering why you would change from wet cells. Chief
I was switching up only because I can get two East Penn (West Marine) AGM series 31's for the same price as two flooded, with my employee discount. My soon to be over-and-out West Marine employee discount, as they are withdrawing from Canada. (sniff...)
It stemmed from being out for an overnight the other evening and discovering my batteries were not able to sustain two reading lights, one other house light plus my anchor light, all LED, and the stereo. When I flipped on my battery indicator gauge it showed my house was down to somewhere around 8 volts. I just assumed that my six year old flooded batteries were Kaput.
But, after searching through past posts about this, after posting MY request for info, I discovered that my flooded batteries, thanks to my solar panel, might be evaporating fluid on charge. So brain scientist (rocket surgeon) that I am I checked my fluid levels and discovered...wait for it...I was damn near dry! Apparently the new solar panel causes premature evaporation at a rate heretofore unbeknownst to me! So I've topped up the fluids, will check next week when I'm off on a four day trip and see how things are before committing to new batteries. Flooded, not AGM's, by the info I've read, thanks to past posted advice. Humbly withdrawing request for info...
Again, Thanks all.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I was switching up only because I can get two East Penn (West Marine) AGM series 31's for the same price as two flooded, with my employee discount. My soon to be over-and-out West Marine employee discount, as they are withdrawing from Canada. (sniff...)
It stemmed from being out for an overnight the other evening and discovering my batteries were not able to sustain two reading lights, one other house light plus my anchor light, all LED, and the stereo. When I flipped on my battery indicator gauge it showed my house was down to somewhere around 8 volts. I just assumed that my six year old flooded batteries were Kaput.
But, after searching through past posts about this, after posting MY request for info, I discovered that my flooded batteries, thanks to my solar panel, might be evaporating fluid on charge. So brain scientist (rocket surgeon) that I am I checked my fluid levels and discovered...wait for it...I was damn near dry! Apparently the new solar panel causes premature evaporation at a rate heretofore unbeknownst to me! So I've topped up the fluids, will check next week when I'm off on a four day trip and see how things are before committing to new batteries. Flooded, not AGM's, by the info I've read, thanks to past posted advice. Humbly withdrawing request for info...
Again, Thanks all.
Even with your employee discount you're still paying too much for the Deka AGM. They are also rather poor performing AGM's in deep cycling applications. You can find Deka/East Penn batteries at other resellers for half what WM sells them for.......

Jun 21, 2009
Not so much on this side of the border, MS. Many of our suppliers source Asian suppliers for their stuff, keeps the costs down. I have checked on Lifeline, a pair of 31's is $1,000. Cdn. (!) The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking of sticking with a new pair of Flooded 31 batteries. After I've seen how mine respond to watering, and more frequent inspections, that is. They may have a little more life left in them after all. This did catch me off guard.
As always, this is the place to steer you straight.
Norm

Jun 21, 2009
Good to hear from you too, Chief. See my reply to MS. I may be guilty of a premature post question, before doing my due-diligence research into the problem and possible AGM solution.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Norm: Not a problem. I think you know we advise carefully, plus, you know we like you! Let us know how the old batteries hold up.
Your friend, Chief