Age and boat ownership

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Sailed on other people's boats from age 16 (Snipe, Aqua Cat, Laser, Islander 30). Finally bought our first boat at age 34 (brand new). Yes, it was our current 1985 Hunter 34. After 33 years, we are still getting it dialed in so I don't see any other boats in our future. Regarding keeping first purchases for so many years: we're still living in our first house after 40 years and still have our first car we bought when we got married (1976 Bronco). Must have something to do with growing up a defense contractor brat, moving every year and never getting to keep anything. Moved 20 times by the time I was 18 and only went to one school 2 years in a row (4th and 5th grade on Guam).

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
12 yr old was my first sailboat and it was a Cal 21. A few boats later and a few years older I moved out of my parents home and onto a 31 foot motor sailor at age 16 (I was a sophomore in HS). Now I have owned more than a dozen boats over the years and what is my dream boat seems to change with my seasion of life. I will say though that my current 1987 Catalina 22 is the absolute best boat for my family and I at this time and I have no plans of trading up or down in the near future.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
MFG Bandit 15 at 24 years old. Never sailed before. Our family had powerboats going back to when I was 8 years old. Ultimate boat? I can't say. I believe you should own the boat that fits your need for the way you will use it this upcoming season. I don't look much forward of that.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I built my first boat when I was about 8 years old. It was just big enough to keep me & a Zebco fishing pole afloat with about 3" of freeboard. I had to paddle it carefully to keep it from swamping. It was built completely out of scrap wood. In total it probably used about half a sheet of 1/2" plywood, 6 or 8 feet of 2 x 4, half a box of nails, 1/4 roll of box sealing tape, & a quart of latex paint.

It looked like it was built by an eight year old & it didn't hold up that well, but it did float & I did have fun with it on a small lake near the house. I built my first fiberglass boat about 4 years later, after watching my uncle reglass the transom on his MFG.

I still don't know what my ultimate boat is going to be. I've had quite a few different ones over the years.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Have you built boats before?
I sat in on a couple of classes my dad took with Clark Mills. I don't believe they ever finished the skiff they were building. I do remember the lesson on steam bending the stringers. I had free run over much of the marine ways and Clarks boat shop when I was little and I've read a lot. Otherwise, I built a log raft from driftwood and a submarine out of a large trash can with a bunch of my father's barbell weights in the bottom. Tried it out in our pool. Had to have my father hold me under even with a couple hundred pounds of weight, and I didn't have a window. So I moved on to other things.
- Will ("tinkerer", Dragonfly)

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
At 32 bought a 14' FJ and sailed on my local lakes.
At 37 I bought a 19' O'Day Mariner.
At 39 I bought a 30' Morgan.
At 50 I bought my current sailboat, a Hunter 40.5.
Now at 70, this H40.5 will likely be my last sailboat. Unless I swap for something a lot smaller for local lakes.
It has been a great journey, and I have not yet reached the destination.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Started sailing in my teens on the boats of Navy Special Services. Learning and racing the Lido14, the Flying Dutchman, a Luder 44 yawl in San Diego Bay and off shore. At 46 I bought my first boat. A Montgomery 15 was the first boat. A great boat. My current boat is a Cal35c. Bought at 65. She is a boat fit for refitting.

Jul 7, 2012
Hunter 36 Des Moines, WA
I was probably 15 or 16 when I bought my first boat, a 17’ Grumman Canoe. I bought my next an 18.6’ EasyRider Eskimo sea kayak at age 31, which came equipped with a downwind sail making it technically my first sailboat. Then at 48 I bought a 2007 Hunter 36 sailboat, never having sailed besides a few times when the wind was at my back in the kayak. In fact the first time I had been on a sailboat actually sailing was during the sea trial on Lake Union on our sailboat.

The boat I always wanted changed like the wind. It always grew with age or salary slightly out of reach. Back in the days when I had bought my 17’ canoe with my paper route money I saw power boats parked in the driveways on my route that I though when I grew up that is the boat I will get. Then while I was working at the mill as a millwright helper during the summers to pay for my college one of the millwrights took the crew out on his 34’ Carver powerboat and I thought that was the one. I grew up steelhead and salmon fishing from the bank watching the boats go by and thought one day I would own a jet sled, which I came pretty close getting when I was about 40, but the new boat was put on hold for a few years after I met me wife and got her a kayak instead.

Then one day we had paddled across Puget sound in our kayaks hoping to get lucky enough to have the wind at our back so we could use the sails, which of course didn’t happen, that we watched a sailboat with her sails full effortlessly glide past us while we watched from the beach. That got us thinking we need to get one of those.

We started talking about the sailboat more seriously one afternoon walking along the marina and decided to go up to the office and inquire about slips. We put on name on the waitlist that afternoon and good thing because we found out it was a couple year wait. We spent then next year and a half walking the docks and looking at boats. We had decided that the 36-foot Hunter was about as small as we wanted to go and just for kicks one day I showed my wife this nice Hunter 41 I found, thinking that she would not even consider it, but to my surprise she actually really liked it and it was me that held back as it was a little over the amount I had talked myself in to spending. We did however put our name on the 40’ slip waitlist as well since we were starting to look at bigger boats. This would be a wise move as although we ended up with a 36, the day we made the offer that got accepted we got the knock on the door with the registered letter stating that our 40’ slip was available and we had 30 days to decide and must have a boat by then or forfeit our spot on the waitlist and would have had to start at the bottom again.

Another funny story is while looking at sailboats we were invited to go out on my wife’s coworker’s powerboat on Lake Union to watch the Duck Dodge Sail boat race one evening. We were introduced to another gal who was also interested in sailing. She grilled us with questions about or sailing experience and what we were considering. Having had no former sailing experience, except for the kayak which hardly qualifies, once we told her this and that we were looking at a 36’ Hunter she looked at us and said, “HOW STUPID ARE YOU”. She obviously tough that we should have started out a bit smaller and worked out way up after taking at least some training like she was doing. My wife and I still look at each other when we are out on our sailboat on a beautiful summer day with the sails up and a strong enough wind to move us along and say, “How stupid are we”. We even thought of naming our boat that.

Duane
S/V Salish Mermaid
2007 Hunter 36

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
I also started sailing on the boats of Navy Special Services, Great Lakes Naval Station on a Interlake 18 at the age of 20. (I figured since I was a sailor, I should know how to sail) When I was transfered to Charleston, SC I quickly bought my first sailboat, a Windjammer 17.
I currently have a 1963 Allied Seawind undergoing restoration to be finished by the time my current job is over. I intend on island hopping it around the Carribbean to gain enough knowledge to then determine what my ultimate boat will be.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I was introduced to sailing at 18 at the Naval Academy. Bought my first boat, a Pearson 37, at 51 - she's a keeper!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@kappykaplan looks like you did not stray too far from Annapolis. Lusby is a nice location. Typical rural Maryland.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
First boat was a 17' Newport @ 58 (trial boat to see if we liked sailing)
2nd boat was a O'day 25 @ 59 (learning boat and to see if sailing would be a good hobby for retirement)
3rd boat is a Catalina 30 @ 64 (retirement boat)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm a late bloomer like you Brian. I was about 48 when we took red cross lessons and then promptly bought the Mac 26S.
No stranger to open water though. The squids used to drive us around on the USS Midway out in the Pacific.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
At 18, my Dad and I bought some marine plywood, mahogany, oak, spruce, and hardware and built a Moth scow to sail on the new lake near us. We learned to sail on that little lake by reading books, and turning the boat over until we figured it out!

We bought Lady Lillie, our ‘77 h27, in the snow in March of 2000, while we were 55. Although we have sailed a dozen charters since then on different boats from 30 to 45 feet, Lady Lillie still meets all our needs for sailing 20 to 30 nights a year on Lake Erie. Our dream is realized on her, sailing on the lake and anchored, moored, or docked at the many great destinations around the lake.

Our only discussions about a new boat involve the possibility of addressing declining capabilities as we age. But the decline hasn’t happened yet!

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
First Boat: AMF Sunfish, Age 16, restored and sold
Second Boat: AMF Sunfish, Age 16, racing spec
Third Boat: Catalina 25 Tall Rig, Age 17, minor TLC and custom rigging
Fourth Boat: AMF Sunbird, Age 18, still restoring to race spec for selling
Dream Boat: 1930 Alden 35 Gaff-Rigged Schooner...probably won't happen ;P

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
First boat.. bought in my mid 30s. Schock Santana 20. Was rotting away in someones back yard. When i brought it home....wife yelled at me for bringing home a piece of junk! Refurbished it to like new.
Bought my current boat. Pearson 10M when I turned 40. She still turns my head... So untill i win lottery...she is my dream boat. (Minus the a/c heat,recfer, in mast furling and new cushions.... :))